Saturday, July 23, 2022

I have been tracking the estimated APR from the Loopring AMM liquidity pools for the last two months. Here are the results

​

Average AMM POOL APR (estimated)

The graph above shows the liquidity pools for

  • ETH/USDC
  • LRC/ETH
  • LRC/USDC
  • IMX/USDC
  • WBTC/ETH

You can visit the original source yourself at https://loopring.io/#/invest

I chose these pools because the first four had the most liquidity locked back in May. Also WBTC because it's Bitcoin.

Observations about the spikes

  • 2022-05-22 Many LRC holders are leaving Coinbase and other CEXs because of CEX uncertainty and risks
  • 2022-06-13 Liquidity Pool Rebalancing: See this post
  • 2022-07-11 GME NFT Marketplace Beta Release
  • 2022-07-19 Clueless about this spike. More activity from the NFT Marketplace? If you know more, please tell in the comments!

I calculated the median and average estimated APR for the whole timeframe:

  • Start: 2022-05-16
  • End: 2022-07-21
eth_usdc lrc_eth lrc_usdc imx_usdc wbtc_eth
MEDIAN 4.81% 5.87% 15.88% 10.31% 1.47%
AVERAGE 34.07% 6.80% 19.03% 11.75% 2.08%

Example: Read it like this: MEDIAN of the estimated APR from 2022-05-16 until - 2022-07-21 for eth_usdc is 4.81%.

Sorry about the crooked timeframe. It has nothing to do about the calculation but more about my own schedule to write a post.

Take-Aways

  • ETH-USDC has this crazy liquidity pool rebalancing event where for a short spooky but beautiful moment in time, you would get 5,760.57%.
  • LRC-ETH will most likely yield the least impermanent loss. With liquidity rewards and about the same performance of both coins, it might yield greater rewards than staking ETH (~4,2%) (https://ethereum.org/en/staking/) by itself.
  • LRC-USDC has the most consistent highest APR from any of the TOP 4 pools by liquidity. Because it's a stablecoin pair you must also consider impermanent loss more than with a non-stablecoin pair.
  • IMX-USDC actually has consistently high APR of 10,31% by median. If you like to own the whole GME crypto basket LRC+IMX, you can let the crypto part grow quite nicely in the LP.

What can be done better?

  • The "estimated APR" is calculated based on the 24h volume on Loopring's AMM swaps and orderbooks and shown in your Loopring app and the invest page[https://loopring.io/#/invest].
  • To get the true APR, the 24h volume and the collected swap fees must be considered to calculate the 24h APR. I think... I haven't fully dived into this one out so I would appreciate assistance.

A full APR calculation must also consider:

  • Impermanent Loss
  • different price fluctuations of the pairs
  • liquidity provider rewards ('official protocol')

What is the goal?

  • My goal is to make the AMM pools as a liquidity provider more approachable. I am a liquidity provider myself but I find it hard to grasp what the actual income is. Questions regarding the liquidity pools frequently appear in this sub.
  • Find the definitive answer whether LRC-ETH with estimated median APR of 5,87% is more preferable than staking ETH natively with ~4,2%. (https://ethereum.org/en/staking/)
    • the current estimated APR does not take impermanent loss and no LP rewards ('official protocol') so the above APR is just a preliminary result

What else do you want to know?

I am currently setting up a server for this project that let's you query the data dynamically including the other pools/volume/liquidity. What else would be interesting to find out or show about the data?


No comments:

Post a Comment