Sunday, May 5, 2024

Long term investment in bitcoin: DCA via Wealthsimple and store on cold wallet > any tax event in the process?

Hello all,

I am considering buying Bitcoin to store for the long run (with a decades horizon). I have a premium account on Wealthsimple, which brings the cryptocurrency purchasing fees down to 1%. My goal is to buy bitcoin on Wealthsimple (non registered account), to do a light DCA (a few hundreds/thousands at most every 3-6 months), to transfer to a cold wallet along the way... and to forget about it.

If I'm correct, there shouldn't be any tax event in this process since I would only be transferring. Therefore, the only taxable moment would be in XX years when/if I actually sell my bitcoins, and my T5 would not be impacted in any way by this operation until then.

Is that correct? Is there anything I'm not seeing? On a side note, does this plan seem optimal/good enough to you or is there a better way to proceed for a Canadian resident?

Thanks and have a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment