Thursday, April 4, 2019

Tax losses related to QuadrigaCX insolvency

Hello. you've probably heard about the QuadrigaCX cryptocurrency exchange becoming insolvent and the 115,000 affected users that lost 250 millions $ worth of cryptos and $.

​

As someone else already pointed out on reddit, Quadriga is not officially insolvent yet so we cannot claim losses from insolvency at this point.

​

But in the event of the insolvency being accepted by the judge and sufficient proof of our claims (official documentation), I would like to know if whether or not we could claim capital losses to offset crypto capital gains from previous years.

​

For example, If my claim is 5,000 $ worth of bitcoins and 5,000 $CAD on the exchange (assuming that I don't retrieve anything after the proceedings), would I be able to claim 10,000$ of capital losses? (I'm claiming my trading gains and losses as capital gains/losses not business income)

​

Someone on reddit (source 1) mentioned that we could trigger the capital losses by filing an election under subsection 50(1) but when I talk to another accountant, he told me that it won't work unless we claim the losses as business income. (and even here there is "50% chances that it won't work")

​

When I read the CRA official documentation (source 2), it reads "The debt will be a capital loss in the following situations: You acquired it to earn income from a business or property". My debt was not to earn income from a business (it is personal gains) but could it be classified as property?

​

Source 1 : https://np.reddit.com/r/BitcoinCA/comments/an4kui/quadrigacx_and_losses_for_tax/

Source 2 : https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-127-capital-gains/completing-schedule-3/bonds-debentures-promissory-notes-other-similar-properties/debts.html

​

Thank you in advance for any clarifications you could provide. I'm quite certain that 115,000 affected users might be interested to hear about your expertise.

​

Lastly I would be truly grateful if you know any insolvency tax experts that you could direct me to to answer these questions.

​

Best,


No comments:

Post a Comment