Hey guys,
For the last eight years, I’ve been a game developer at Blizzard. Unfortunately, due to some ongoing personal life issues, I was forced to resign last week. Nothing I’m bitter about. For obvious reasons, I can’t go too much into what I did there (for fear of lawsuit) but I do think I can safely give out a few details on the upcoming Classic+ (yes, it’s happening).
As I was carrying my last box of belongings to my car, I passed the test build room. Seeing that no one was in there, I figured what the hell, I’ll never be back anyway, so I took a peek. Camelot was indeed running and I managed to play around with it for a few minutes before inevitably being kicked out. Here’s what I saw:
- The goal is to “fill the map.” The game will launch with several new zones added. More to come. All in the spirit of the original Azeroth.
- Seasonal raids and dungeons. Each with new cosmetics and rewards every 4 months.
- Updated graphics and “modernized zones”
- A new climbing mechanic exclusive to Classic+ centered around a grappling hook
- Q&L features like transmog and custom map markers
- Blizzard is indeed leaning into the alternate history angle. Some really cool stuff with blood elves. Also some stuff with Arthas. Like what if Jaina Proudmoore chose Thrall instead. I don’t want to spoil, but it’s probably the best love triangle I’ve seen since Pearl Harbor.
- A battle pass that I can only describe as “if Diablo 4 and Fortnite had a baby”
- A third “mystery faction” made up of only hybrid races birthed from Alliance-Horde relations
- Over 300 new food recipes and an annual “chili cookoff” event where players can create their own special chili and win fun prizes/skins
- New animations and a “parry” button
- Real life Bitcoin and other crypto can be used at the auction house.
I was goofing around with the grappling hook when I heard a voice in my ear. “That’s not even the best part.”
I turned to see Chris Metzen smiling at me. He then pointed at the screen.
I looked back to see my character staring right at me.
“In Classic+, you don’t just make a character. You are the character”
That’s when I noticed the Orc I had been playing looked exactly like me.
Things have been a little weird lately. I woke up a few days later to find 10 boar tusks in my bed and no memory of how they got there. When I went to pay for my morning coffee, all my cash was gone. The only money I had were these silver coins that the Starbucks absolutely wouldn’t accept. I almost crashed my car as I passed the airport because I could have sworn there was a Wind Rider flying above me but I think it was a plane. I hope.
I’ll keep you guys updated but hopefully that clears a few things up about Classic+.
No comments:
Post a Comment