Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Stream Deck feedback

Hi, I got my new Stream Deck today and I'm collecting a user feedback for you guys, but I'm not sure the best place to send it. Should I just post it here?

Here are my initial notes:

Stream Deck feedback

  1. If I put a LNK file (Windows Shortcut) on a button, why not automatically copy the icon from that link?

a) Now I have to go to the link manually, open preferences, find the executable, copy the location, go back to Stream Desk, open the executable.

b) Turns out this works fine if I drag-n-drop the shortcut, but doesn’t work if I give it the path to a shortcut.

i) Strangely, this did not work for all of the Adobe CC shortcuts. Turns out it only works for shortcuts that point directly to an executable. If they point to a shell registry reference (such as Minesweeper’s shortcut) then Stream Deck doesn’t know what to do with it.

ii) In fact, none of the Office 365 shortcuts worked, even though they pointed to executables. They showed a “can’t drop” cursor.

c) Annoyingly Steam shortcuts can’t be dropped, or rather they can be dropped but they don’t work. Considering your history as a game-related company, I kinda expected this to work well.

2) When I drag-n-drop a shortcut onto a button, it doesn’t associate the button with the shortcut. Instead it copies the executable from the shortcut to the button, but it loses any of the command line arguments and other meta-data that is associated with the link (like whether to launch that application as administrator). It would be much better for it to store the link file path and use ShellExecute to launch the shortcut. For example:

a) ShellExecute(hwnd, nullptr, "Minesweeper.lnk",nullptr, nullptr, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

b) Note that this would also solve the problem mentioned above in 1.b.i.

c) This would also allow the deck to point to shortcuts that are URLs, files, etc.

3) If I select an executable for the icon for a button, it doesn’t show me the icons in the executable to pick one.

a) For example, I made a button launch Photoshop, so I pointed to the Photoshop.exe (which has literally dozens of icons in it) and it forces me to use the first one in the file’s resource fork. It should show me a dialog of the icons and allow me to pick one.

4) Giving Stream Deck a file name as a URL (an image URL such as https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c5/73/49/c57349d1de8e1834c3d93a2e8f9ef615.png) causes it to lock up and fails to load the image.

a) Of course, if I download the image and then point Stream Deck at that image it works fine. But it would be easier to just give the URL as that’s where the images come from (especially for games).

5) Some of the actions in the list aren’t clear what they are for, but none of hovering, right-clicking, pressing F1, give me more information about what that action does.

a) I would actually do a combination of both help on hover (show a tooltip) and pressing F1 and clicking links you to a page that gives detailed information about what the action does.

6) There is no undo. This is especially heinous if I accidentally drop a shortcut on top of a folder as it removed the whole folder and replaced it with the shortcut I dropped. I could find no way to recover the folder. At the very least it should ask me before destroying the folder.

7) It would be really nice if the Stream Deck went blank when the computer screen is locked (or soon thereafter). The buttons stop working when it’s locked, which is great, but it never goes dark.

a) I discovered later (from a Reddit post) that I could set a sleep time, I haven't fully tested it though... I did notice that my bitcoin program kept updating the deck all night while the computer was locked. I assume Stream Deck simply ignores events when the computer is asleep?


No comments:

Post a Comment