Thursday, October 7, 2021

Any tips on inheritance/testament of cryptos?

I don't even use bitcoin, but I can think of the problem it would create if someone passes away and he was the only tech guy in a family or if he was a bit too cryptic to be extra safe and then everyone gets locked out and empty handed.

I mean, there must be many ways of achieving this, but some of them might create window to a possible attack, something that doesn't endanger your coins while you are alive, and only when you are gone they are allowed to get them.

I think some services that have your wallet must offer this way of designing someone in events like this, I have this option in my app but it is from stocks. However there must be users who don't want to rely on having their credentials/wallet guarded by a third party that might get hacked.

My guess is something like physically carving in something of metal the safe words then putting that in a box and stored in a safe from a bank that has some arrangement to not allow anyone except you, but when you die a family member can gain access only then?. Also don't know how expensive they are, but in case they are not, maybe splitting the safe words in multiple banks or something?.

Any ideas? I am just curious (I don't have this problem but maybe one day, if I decide to invest in crypto this is one concern I would have).


No comments:

Post a Comment