Thursday, January 2, 2020

Help with files to program association.

Ok, this is gona be long.

Disclamer, I am a noob on Linux, I understood that for every question there is some google answer, with the code. With this I managed to do several things but I am completely stuck, despite searching for hours on linux forums.

The story

Ubuntu 18.04.3LTS

This is an old Laptop i want to use as Lightning and Bitcoin Core node. Exclusively for this two uses. With that said. I first installed Mint from a suggestion from a Bitcoin forum, but since i have a friend with an already running node with ubuntu i decided to switch to ubuntu.

The system has 2 hdd, a 80gb (74) and a 320 (290gb) Note: The 320 hdd was added after (ubuntu instalation) on this laptop second hdd bay

So, my friend has already a Bitcoin Core node running, so on the 320 we literally copy and pasted all the bitcoin files (usage went from 0 to aprox 290 gb used and 2 gb free after almost 3 hours of data transfer) to avoid the 300gb data usage on my ISP. After files where copied and disk installed, He was able to download the bitcoin core program and tell the program where the files where, for a couple of hours Bitcoin core program just started to read (almost no downloading) the blockchain. Up o here everything seemed correct.

But i needed to turn off the computer to move it (no battery working). When restarted the bitcoincore, started to download the whole blockchain as if was new.

He told me that, since Linux is very specific on the direction of hdd even a slight usb port change will change the file allocation (english is no my first language so I am trying to explain what he told me). And that probably the second hard drive changed its address (what in windows i understand as the "letter") so the first step was to "stick" to a fixed address this drive. I tried several times, and when starting the second hdd (320) took some time to appear in the GUI of Ubuntu so this seemed to be the root cause

Unfortunately he wont help me anymore,(technically is not a friend, is the IT manager from a friends company so he is not very willing to help me).

Im alone, so I started on the trip to get this working. But here I am.

With google at my side, i manage to edit the fstab file (i did a back Up with also another instructive) after installing VIM (which is awful to edit files) while following this instructive https://askubuntu.com/questions/125257/how-do-i-add-an-additional-hard-drive butsince the VIM was extremely difficult for me to use (despite reading several guides, and cancelling several times the editing do to a wrong key pressed) I went to the NANO option (i Already had Nano installed).

with nano I THINK i was able to mount the hdd, as now the hdd appear as second hard drive. I then tryed to run Bitcoin-qt but this opens the program file placing and despite selecting the "bicoin" folder in the big hdd (320) he wont recognice any file and tell me there is no free space (which is correct only 2 gb are free).

The files are there! but I am not able to tell "bitcoin core" program where the files are!

Other Info: Bitcoin Lightning network core was installed in the 80gb drive, since I went to a workshop where they gave me a guide step by step, If you just follow the guide even my granmother could install the node. i think it is running but This is for a second phase, I want first the bitcoincore node up and running and then I can reach this guy to adjust the LN node.

Its been literally hours, of Google and gnome-terminal, SUDO typing, and trying to understand how linux works. I see the logic (--help for help, pressing tab for option, using "locate" and the file name. I see the L commands and things like that, but I get confused for example when i had the "user:user" change for the 320 harddrive, which I insist I think it is already mounted) i know that starting linux this way is the "hard" but here I am.

Any help, would be great.

Best regards

PS: If info on the system is required, please tell me which command I need to type on the terminal and I can stick it here,

Edit: Both hard drive are formated on ext4 format.



No comments:

Post a Comment