Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Prepping for Pandemic or Loss of Local Food & Services - Also Consider Financial Preparation

My wife and I have a large brood so stocking up on basic necessities is a must for us. I’d be a “bad” father not to take adequate measures to feed my family in the event of a pandemic or quarantine lockdown. Maybe spending a lot of time in China on business has brought it closer to home. People I’m personally acquainted with are currently suffering. I rent so ideally I would love to have lots of solar panels on my roof and a Tesla power wall but not a current option. So far I’ve ordered online 10x 3M N95 masks, an emergency camping type water filter and an electric generator which turned up today. TBH we have been thinking about buying a generator for a while because of occasional power outages due to storms, so although we are hoping that Coronavirus gets under control it’s a red flag that makes us realise how in any society things can turn to shit real quick. I need to get my LPG gas bottles filled and think about how much petrol I’ll need to keep the generator working enough for necessities such as my adult sons CPAP machine when sleeping (8 hours), fridge and chest freezer, occasional phone recharges and hopefully enough to run a fan or two in the hot Australian summer for a few months. Pretty sure air conditioning won’t be an option in the “apocalypse”, but there’s a lake across the road so should be able to cool off enough😬 The Generator is 2.8kw normal running and 3.2kw max. Maybe some Reddit peeps smarter than me may be able to do the math. Tomorrow I’m going to do a big Costco shop (thank you America). On the list are cans of meat, beans, peas, peeled tomatoes, tuna, salmon, olive oil and lots of rice,noodles and water. We will also check to see what they have in regard to surgical gloves and antiseptic gel. After that we will do an Aldi shop for other non perishables. Not panicking one bit but this will def give more peace of mind. Another aspect is financial preparation. Non access to cash can be a big problem. It happened recently in Hong Kong. ATM’s simply ran out of cash. I have started squirrelling away some $AUD just in case. Unfortunately gold or silver is not a current option for me. The other potential issue is hyperinflation. The classic example has always been Germany after WW1 but now we are seeing it live in other countries particularly South America. If you are interested just Google Venezuela Bitcoin and you’ll see what I’m talking about. I purchased some Crypto Currency in early January and so far I’m so glad I did. I do have concerns with regard to volatility... although I’m up 41% I know Crypto is very volatile and could retrace 20% at any second! Many have noticed that Bitcoin spiked when we had the two day “WW3” with Iran in early January then it spiked again with the Coronavirus news as Chinese, US and world markets were tumbling. Call me a Bitcoin shill but I believe that Bitcoin and other digital assets such as Etherium have proven over 10 years to be a hedge against financial instability. Successful Billionaire investors such as Tim Draper are calling Bitcoin digital gold. I have know trouble believing them. Well as we say in Australia that’s ‘my two bobs worth’. Or in the 21st Century ‘my two sats’. *Sats is a unit of measurement of Bitcoin taken from its mysterious founder Satoshi Nakamoto.


No comments:

Post a Comment