Sunday, May 17, 2020

trade using more BTC and no leverage or more leverage and less BTC?

I'm in the U.S. using Kraken exchange

1st off, thanks in advance for everyone’s reply(s). 2nd, I understand there’s no better way to lose money/BTC than by trading BTC using leverage. Thus far, I’ve had decent success with conservative trading off of basic “triangle-break-out patterns” with stops in place but would like to do more. (I can feel experienced traders cringing at that lol) I'm still learning.

I have $100,000 to trade with, would it be better to:

Option 1: trade by just buying/selling $100,000 worth of Bitcoin at a time. This makes me nervous a bit. If the BTC world went sideways I’m not sure a stop loss sell order would fill even with a stop loss in place? I don’t need huge gains. I'm not sure if a liquidation event for what I borrowed from the exchange would be more definite than the stop loss being filled. I'm not sure if I sound like an idiot by even saying that. Like I said, still wrapping my mind around leverage/liquidation. I’m fine with hitting singles and no leverage with trades using this much fiat. I’m doing this now with good results. But I want to try leverage.

Option 2: or, should I use $50,000 and use 2x leverage or whatever the math is to achieve the same result as option 1? I would use tightish stops but I’m still soaking in all the issues of being liquidated. Can I only trade with leverage with BTC to BTC or can I use fiat to BTC?

I imagine the tax implications are the same with leverage vs. none? Not sure if moving $100k from fiat to BTC for a trade on and off it triggers more i-r-s attention.

Again, I get I can easily get reckt if I’m not very careful. I’m trying to mitigate my risk as best I can. I soak up all the knowledge I can from good traders in the space and I’m looking for a good course to up my trading game. I have some crypto in a hodl cold storage. I don’t have delusions of trying to quit my day job (yet lol) but I’m fine with making a few conservative trades a month.

Thanks for your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment