Friday, December 18, 2020

Caught in money mule bitcoin scam ( didn’t realise) should i confess and report to police or leave it ( sorry for Novel Style post)

*( I’m in England. Sorry it’s so long) Before anything, I don’t need to be mocked I just need advice ?

So basically to start off I could have been a money mule since 2018. But for me, all the snapchat accounts offering me to be a money mule, were like really honest about it. Literally saying ‘ this is a bank scam , you give bank details and xyz’ so obviously since it was so blatant over social media etc I didn’t go forward with it.

I’m quite naive with things and I claim the highest form of disabilty (personal independent payment) but that was too blatant,even for me....

so fast forward August 2020, Another snapchat account well, it was a guy I know but don’t know , he promotes some bitcoin thing, I fell for it since I wanted a cheap practice car at the same but asked him for more details. He just said it’s bitcoin thing, he and his friend studied finance at university and it’s all completely legal. He passed me on to another guy who asked for my account number and sort code. I said to both if it’s some big drop thing leave me out... they said it’s not that and that it’s legal they offered to explain to me in person.

I met them in person in a apartment, I was scared but it was in a nice-ish part of town so half thought nothing can go wrong. I met another guy aswell, all three explained it’s bitcoin, legal and explained how the process goes blah blah.

The guy who asked for my account and sort code was being a bit funny with me, thinking I was recording.... I was getting scared of this point.... they all kind of thought I was police or something, I kinda just wanted to get out so to prove I wasn’t I sent a picture of my ID ( driving license ) to one of them. The guy I originally contacted kinda knew where I live anyway. This is when they all got more suspicious, because the area i’m from is a rough/gangsta area and nearly everyone from my area is basically rough and looks poor&rough, started quizzing me on my voice sounding “ white” ( i’m mixed ). I haven’t actually been involved in fraud before and i’m not rough, it’s just where i live.

Eventually they let me go, tell me to sign up to coinbase and luno, and tell me how much is coming into my account and what cut i’ll be getting. for the first couple of days, nothing got put into my account even though i was told it would be. I got scared something was going to happen. I kept explaining i’m not a spy or whatever. Then finally some money came through £1000 and then around £500. Then Barclays shut my account down and said my account been put in internal review.

The guy who asked me for my account and sort code, later rang me and basically admitted it’s fraud but wants to be my boyfriend???? and basically saying i’m so smooth for someone who lives in my area he doesn’t understand it.

I try to just dodge him but I didn’t know how to not speak to him I’m just scared at this point.

Then got a letter from Barclays saying my account has been shut down.

I had other things to deal with aswell but after a few weeks I decided to just try to claim ignorance and send in a complaint to barclays.

I was basically told by the person handling my complaint that there’s not enough evidence to make barclays change their mind and but that they will try their best.

obviously found out today that didn’t work the only option is the financial ombudsman.

This guy still wants to be my bf but at times he kinda switches up on me thinking i’m going to report him because I don’t act ghetto basically.

I don’t wanna date this guy and to be honest I can’t live with myself dating that sort of guy or taken stolen money in that way myself. I told them both I don’t wanna hurt innocent people but they both said that’s the only way it can work....

I was worried about the CIFAS Marker at first but my main account is still up and running my credit score has gotten higher and i’ve even opened up a starling account. I know there’s still a risk of the marker being put on though.

I know i’ve been very stupid giving my ID, and just falling for it out of weakness. But i don’t know what to do. claiming ignorance to the ombudsman isn’t going to work. Should I just tell the truth to Barclays and confessed I lied and tell the ombudsman and the police and risk these guys coming after me even if I suddenly move to avoid them... if I do this, I plan on mentioning my disability claim (even though it’s irrelevant) ( but to be honest, my disabilty and my learning difficulties isn’t an excuse, I do have learning difficulties and I do struggle in reading situations sometimes) to back up my version of events. Even just to make sure the CIFAS Marker doesn’t get put on?

Or do I just drop it and move on and try and get this guy out of my life if possible?


No comments:

Post a Comment