Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Is it possible for someone to remotely access Android phone front-facing camera through a website?

Hey all, i'm extremely panicked right now. I received an email in my spam inbox sometime this month saying that they had incriminating evidence of me visiting an XXX website and what I assume to be a recording via my camera phone at the time. They demanded money and bitcoin (I don't even have this), and the email subject was one of my passwords, which is what initially caught my eye. In my panic, I deleted the email, which apparently permanently deletes it. I'm realizing that was stupid to do but I can't undo it anymore.

I don't know what to do and I'm scared that this will get out to my family/friends/work and I literally cannot think about what that would be like. My life has finally come together in the recent few years and I feel like I'm going to lose it all now. I'm shaking as I'm typing this and I'm so scared and feel so fucking stupid for deleting the email. I have no idea how they got my password and I guess I'm looking to see if what they said was possible. I don't even know what I'm asking, I just need some help.

They did mention the word malware, so I guess I also need to remove malware from my phone. I haven't noticed any increased data or battery usage, but again I really don't know.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Edit: It's been a day since I discovered this. I also learned today that my cell phone carrier had a data breach pretty recently, so I'm wondering if the events are connected. That could explain how they knew my mobile browser history. I'm really hoping they are bluffing regarding the video evidence. Thank you to everyone that responded, I really appreciate all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment