Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Tax report says I made +$50k in one year and -$58k in the next year

In Australia, the tax year is betweem Junes.

Here is the timeline of my income:

March 2020: I started investing in Crypto, about $50k savings. There was a huge upsurge, so the value of my wallet increased.

June 2020: Time to pay tax for 2021. So far I did not cash out of crypto.

2020 onward: My wallet crashed overall.

---

The Koinly report for the 2020 captured the upsurge in my crypto worth and says I had $100k income and a $50k gain for 2020. Then the report for 2021, says I had a $5000 income and -$58k gain.

---

Idk if I should use a different calculation setting or something for deciding what is a taxable event, but does this kind of report seem correct to you?

I mean, does that mean I have to pay tax for a momentary upsurge that I never directly benefited, and then when the prices drop there is no cash back or something? Hypothetically say I invested $10 in bitcoin and it goes to $10 million for a few month but I didn't cash out, but I have to pay for 10 million worth of tax, and then when the price drops back to $15, and I cash out only now, I just paid 10 million woth of tax for nothing? lol...


No comments:

Post a Comment