Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Looking to upgrade CPU, how to know what is compatible with MOBO socket?

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X2 555 (dual core, very old) and am thinking that at this point even a $30 "less old" CPU would be a notable upgrade. Knowing the CPU I currently have, is there a way to know what newer CPUs are compatible with that MOBO socket? I know Intel and AMD are different sockets, but has AMD kept the same socket for more than a decade? I assume not...

If you care or are curious why I'm not just upgrading to modern stuff: This PC is a dedicated, headless, desktop PC that does nothing but run a Bitcoin node and so I don't need some high-end threadripper gamer build. It works fine as-is, except that it takes just shy of seven D_A_Y_S to sync the blockchain in the unlikely event of a hardware failure. (Only happened once.) Gamers who run a Bitcoin node on a "beast" can synchronize in approx half of a day, for comparison. I'm looking for a small upgrade to get it down to 3 days or so, and from what I can tell the CPU is the bottleneck, not the drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment