Thursday, May 20, 2021

Someone asked how cryptocurrencies/safemoon has changed or could have changed the lives of people living in third world countries. Here is my own personal experience.

I started trading cryptocurrencies around 2019 April. Well, I actually do not mean trading in the day/swing trading sense, I mean simple arbitrage where I buy my coins at one rate and sell at a slightly higher rate. For perspective, l make an average profit of 2-3 USD on every 100 USD transaction and in a day, I complete a cumulative average of about nine hundred (900) to twenty-five hundred (2500) USD worth of transactions. So, feel free to hop in on the maths. I know this figure probably means nothing to you, but it is honest work and it means the whole world to me as it has granted me an avenue to make about 25 to 80 USD daily in a nation where 83 to 90million Nigerians live on less than $1 a day or in other words, 43% (89 million people) of the entire citizenry live below the poverty line and another 25% (53 million) people are vulnerable. Since I hopped on the crypto train, I have comfortably been able to take care of my family and myself, pay for my University/College education and later this year (November or thereabout), I'd be called to the Nigerian bar as a Barrister licensed to practice law in Nigeria. The above is just one instance.

Also, there was this massive incident that happened last year. It was so massive that it caught the attention and got covered by many big time international news outlets like the Reuters, Fox, Christiane Amanpour on CNN International to the BBC among others. This was the ENDSARS event that was a massive peaceful protest by Nigerians against the excessive use of force, police brutality and profiling of young Nigerians by the Nigerian Police and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) that had invariably led to the loss of live of a disproportionately large number of our young minds. I know you're at the stage where you asking yourself how this relates to crypto, well, let me walk you through it. At the height of the ENDSARS protests, the whole movement was funded in part by donations from Nigerians in diaspora. So, our oppressive government in a bid to crack down, cripple or deal a Hiroshima-sized offensive to the entire movement, ordered the Central Bank (CBN) to freeze the bank accounts of all of the organisers of the protests. You know, just like taking the energy right out of a cyclone. Despite, this move, the protest only got stronger as the diaspora contributions kept flooding in through Bitcoins, Ethereum, Ripple and all other sort of crypto-currencies. The Femlminist Coalition (which is a group of young Nigerian feminists formed in July 2020 with a mission to champion equality for women in Nigeria) in conjunction with other Nigerians that apparently spearheaded this campaign received millions of USD in cryptocurrencies from donations.

Now, for those of you thinking Nigeria and the entire Africa is still a jungle or Nigerians probably communicates with each by tougue-clicks and woofs, well joke's on you cos you're in for a shocker. Lol.

Nigeria is a rapidly growing nation with a huge chunk of the populace (about 44%) being young people within the 14 to 35 age bracket who are also very educated and tech savvy. There is this saying that has recently gained traction about how the average Nigerian youth owns at least two cryptocurrencies. In my own case, I was one of the early adopters of safemoon. I got in around March 13, so you can probably imagine how much of a bag I'm HODL'ing on to. Well, I trust Papa, John, Jack and the rest of the Safemoon team to deliver on their vision for this excellent project so I can buy my family a decent home and probably start a business that will help put food on the table of more Nigerians. Overall, I fucking love this community to the moon and forth as y'all have helped with the needed motivation, positivity and energy to transverse through those rough and dry patches. I hope I get to meet all of you on the precipices of the moon where we all can sit back, sip piniata or perhaps share a bottle of Nigerian gin.

It's 5:31 AM as at the time I typed this and I'm still up studying for my exams. Good Morning Safemoonllionaires. Haha😀

Edit: Don't go all Karen on my English, I'm not a native speaker. 🤭


No comments:

Post a Comment