Wednesday, December 8, 2021

70s volcano mining on mobile

Hello friendos. One issue I've had with KoL is missing out on adventures when out visiting family/friends/waking up 5 minutes before RO. At that point I must make a decision: do I just skip the day? Or do I try and get some farming done while that RO counter ticks down?

Well, I thought it would be fun to try out something different: why settle for 0 MPA when mining gives you approx 3.4k and it's fully scripted? Since a general purpose machine must be slower than a single purpose one, I went ahead and reimplemented the volcano mining script as a mobile app. This app spends less than a second per adventure and had an MPA of 3.4k over 8406 adventures.

Things to note:

  • It does not collect the free velvet volcoino. I couldn't get that to work consistently.
  • It doesn't collect the quest based volcoino either. I'm not even going to try to do that. Log in on the web to do that.
  • It doesn't auto-equip the volcano outfit- you can equip the outfit from inside the app
  • It expects you to have enough hot res. If not, it'll fail and tell you to get some.
  • You can eat and drink and spleen, but this is meant more for the "let me burn adventures mining today because it's late" case rather than daily usage. I can't rewrite mafia, and this won't reasonably be a replacement for mafia or web.
  • should be accessible using a screenreader- I made some changes to support that explicitly, but tell me if there are issues.
  • It's not localized, but you already speak English so I can be lazy here.
  • It doesn't constantly update HP/MP/advcount, etc, so if you eat something using a chat command, you might need to press the refresh button to force a refresh. I much prefer this to always making a call to status.php until I know how much usage this app gets
  • Uses a defined apiname for easy blocking by TPTB

Ideally this would have been ready by Thanksgiving, but I was busy. There are still more real life world events coming, so we should be fine though!

The app is free, open source, and on the Amazon App store where they made me rename so people didn't think it was a bitcoin miner (Google Play review pending for 3 years, I doubt it will happen any time soon). You can also sideload from the releases section in github. In theory this works on iOS as well, but I don't want to blow a $100/year fee for this- if you have iOS development set up, feel free to build the app yourself. It should work (in theory).

The UI sucks a bit, but I never said I was a good designer. Hope you enjoy the KoL themed UI under settings though!


No comments:

Post a Comment