Sunday, August 7, 2022

Free open-source application to support bitcoin traders

Hey fellow bitcoin enthusiasts,

I am here today looking to get some input and feedback regarding an application that I made to help me in my experience as a bitcoin and altcoin investor/trader. Basically I am developing a free, open-source tool for (mainly defi will explain later) investors/traders that allows them to monitor the markets and receive custom notifications on conditional market events using a locally hosted docker application. For those who don’t know: Docker is an open-source platform that makes it easy to create and deploy applications, aka it makes it easy for users like you to use the application I create across various operating systems.

Outlined below is the rational for me creating this project in the first place: (note that I operate almost fully as a defi trader but do some cex trading for btc need be)

  1. Don’t want to check charts all the time to see market movements and if I should be exiting or entering a trade. Number of requests I've sent to coin gecko over the years is uncountable. I can also enable/disable notifications from the app so if I'm in a situation where I don't want any market input I can mute the notifications.
  2. Don’t want to have to use smart contracts that support limit orders. I get they have utility, I just don’t like using them along with the fees associated with creating and canceling them.
  3. Don’t want to have my pv-keys signing txs (making trades) for me through the application, basically exposing my wallet as a hot wallet. I would never ever be comfortable with this LOL.
  4. Don’t want to get my market data from one source (classic DLT enthusiast hating single points of failure) in case of server outages or some garbage (especially during insane volatility): I currently have the app pulling from both coingecko and coinmarketcap, but plan to add more free endpoints like cryptowatch.
  5. I want to host this service on my own. I have it on my PC as I said but ideally I’d have it isolated and running on a raspberry PI or some lightweight equivalent.
  6. And above all customized notifications. For USD price targets as well as percentage movements to capitalize on random pumps/dumps (may add pairings in the future vs ETH, BTC). Currently I have my notifications being sent to my phone via Signal messages. But plan to have options for sms messages and phone calls, and endgame with a mobile app. Some may wonder why not just start with an app; Since one of the biggest pieces here is staying away from the charts, I don’t want another app where I can check the market 24/7. I already have enough of those ;)

At this moment, I have the app running on my PC at home, sending me messages via signal when my predetermined market conditionals are hit. The service is pretty bare bones and non-modular; aka I have it built for my use only! However as I outlined above, if there is enough general interest I will happily expand and finish the project so it's plug and play for any user!

I have named the app ‘Full Service Crypto Broker’. Back in the day if you had a full service broker, your broker would call you regarding trades and market activity you may be interested in. If you have other names please throw 'em out there. I'm very open-minded about changing it.

That being said, please let me know if this is a service you would be interested in using along with any feedback, questions, or features you’d like to see! Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment