Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Got scammed at work , Boss is trying to shift the responsibility onto me. Help?!

Hi users of reddit , let me start off by saying in in the US and 18(F). I started working at yogurtland about three weeks ago and was very quickly made morning lead shift. As a morning person I work alone in the store and my manager only comes every here and then to check up with everything and get the deposits. I was working a morning shift alone and at about 2:00 pm the store receives a phone call and I pick it up. It is a man claiming to be named “Edgar Gonzales” from the delivery service we use when we get ordered of fruits, cups, toppings etc. He claimed that the store was going to be receiving a shipment in a couple hours but that the check my boss made didnt go through. He then said if we make a late payment to the company the store would get fined. The whole time he said the manager was on the other line of the conversation so I didn’t stop to call him and double check (my mistake i know). He then said that him and the manager needed me to collect all the cash possible to pay for this delivery. He sounded legit as he had me take out a pen and paper to take notes of the shipping and confirmation number. He then asked if it was alright for me to give him my cell number as he claimed another person from fedex was going to be calling the store to confirm and that the line needed to be free. I agreed and he called me off of my phone while on the store phone i was on the phone with some lady pretending to be a fedex worker. I was literally on two different phone calls at the same time so confused and just trying to figure everything out. Stupidly thinking I was helping my manager out I went ahead and grabbed this black bag that always has $600 and took out $200 from the two registers we had and put together about $1000 in cash. He instructed me to drive down to this bitcoin ATM that was in this gas station down the street and insert the money onto there. I made 3 trips back and forth from the gas station back to the store meanwhile another coworker was back at the store since they came in at about 2:15 or so. After the 3rd trip I thought it was weird the guy asked me to send a picture of the front and back of my license (which luckily i didnt) and called my manager to confirm everything that had just happened. He then said “what deliveries?” and I was like “the ones we were supposed to get today that you failed to mention to me about?” and his response was “you’ve been scammed dear. you’re going to have to pay this back”. Immediately my heart drops knowing that I had just got scammed so badly , came back to the store in a full blown panic attack, and called the police to file a report. After about waiting for twenty minutes they send someone over and the police officer just told me theres not anything they can do and simply took notes of the event and gave me a report number. My manager did not make any sort of report whatsoever. The next day I didnt see him at work and called him to follow up about the situation when i got off. I asked if he filed a police report and he said no because there is no point since it was an online scam. Wouldnt it still have been good to make a report anyways? I then told him since its theft to the company he should file an insurance report. His response was “well they didnt’t come in with guns or directly force you to give them the money you were manipulated and took it of your own free will”. He then said he isnt even sure if the insurance is going to classify it as theft and that he was going to talk to his insurance broker. He also said IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE TO THAT SAME EXACT STORE. My question to all you good people of reddit is arent I in the right for not taking responsibility of paying that amount back? What if it would’ve been a way larger quantity such as $5000 or $8000?? I surely wouldnt be able to pay that back. Just graduated highschool in May and living at home with my single mother and I help with bills and I literally got a second job (yogurtland) to be able to help out even more. What else can I do on my part to make sure this gets solved as it should? I’m incredibly stressed and sad that happened and will be putting in my two week soon as I dont like how he is handling this whole thing. I am a victim of a scam.

If you read the whole thing thank you , I have been reading and trying to inform myself on what my rights are but I thought I’d come onto here and see what you guys think.

-everything is on cameras and i still have the receipts from the bitcoin i got and notes i took. Also sent bitcoin an email as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment