Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Reddit has a feature that prevents others from sending chat/direct message requests and I feel so much more relaxed with it enabled

I didn't discover this until recently, but Reddit has a feature that allows you to turn off the ability for other users to send you chat requests and/or direct messages. If there's a specific user you do want to be able to chat/exchange messages with, there is also an option to whitelist certain usernames.

If you're on the Reddit app, you can go to settings. The top option is "account settings for u/yourusername." If you click this, you will be taken to a page that will allow you to toggle off/on the ability for other users to send you chat requests or direct messages.

I really, really wish I'd known about this earlier. I'm going to estimate that about 75% of the messages I've received in the past have been from seemingly normal (probably fantastic!) individuals. The content was essentially, "Hey, I'm [name]. I'm [age], work in [field], and also like [hobby]. I just read [description of one of my recent posts], and thought you seemed [generic compliment]. To be honest, I also like your [specific physical feature], haha. I'd love to get to know you. Here's my [LinkedIn/Snapchat/Facebook/etc.] so you know I'm a normal person."

I'm not here to mock anyone for shooting their shot and sending a message like that. I'm just not on Reddit - or any platform - for that purpose. I recognize those were (presumably) written by normal, well-adjusted, respectful human beings and there is typically no issue or fallout from simply choosing not to respond.

However, the other 25% is what concerns me.

  • Unsolicited dick pics (9%)
  • Unsolicited nudes from women (1%)
  • Requests to purchase feet pics/water from shower/etc. via bitcoin (5%)
  • Requests that I submit NSFW photos for a specific subreddit like r/palegirls, r/thickfit, etc. or participate in a subreddit geared towards a particular fetish (5%)
  • Requests for a "sugar daddy/sugar baby" type relationship and/or what I can only describe as a "professional plus one" for corporate events. This was far more common pre-pandemic and has been more of an issue on platforms like LinkedIn, but it still does happen on Reddit (5%)

I understand I may be more sensitive than most, but I find those kinds of messages to be extremely violating and insulting. I've even deleted posts (or entire accounts) and stopped using certain sites because it was all too much. While I love sharing my interests, learning from others, and the wholesome, innocuous messages (usually from other women sharing an encouraging word or asking for advice), the communication I most appreciated also tended to be shared via the commenting feature. With all that said, I've disabled the ability for others to send me chat requests/ direct message requests and it's been peaceful not having to think about what I might discover in my inbox.


No comments:

Post a Comment