Sunday, December 8, 2019

Anthology of quitting posts

A new fad is spreading on the streets of Civcraft! Along side such fashionable fads as "Why our Glorious Leader is perfect", the "I Quit!" fad has gained plenty of traction among the average worker. The fad itself involves a lengthy proclamation stating why they quit and how the they want the "Old Civcraft back". These threads has gained further popularity due to recent high profile celebrities openly complaining about how the game of life no longer benefits them. The recent fad has been declared illegal in Buenos Aires due to its distracting nature. [1]


The server in my mind is a string of incredible moments. From Columbia to Panama (literally), through the Pumpkin Jacks, the first Pylon release, bitcoin drama, Columbiagate, and all'a'dat drama jazz. Every stupid meme that put a smile on my face. Every time a new player uses the phrase "Admin Crimes" to legitimately describe something the admins have done that he feels negatively about. And those moments in turn have shaped and cultivated a culture on this server that is like no others; a culture that is interesting even to outsiders who have no stake in the game.

PS - I leave my vast quantity of in-game wealth, mostly in the form of powered-rails and gold helmets, to Timmy and Erich, to be divided equally based on romantic performance. The chests are protected, but just fast-break them a few hundred times; I give you my word that I wont ban you. [2]


I am quitting Civclassics to run Sovia in real life. I have purchased hundreds of acres of land in Angola and I have a small militia to defend and attack. We are taking down the Angolan government as this post is being written. I will still be using the reddit to spread Sovian influence over the internet, but I will rarely be playing the game. I will still lead Sovia, but appoint a new leader so comment below if you think you have what it takes. [3]


I’m sorry to anyone who I’ve disappointed with my actions. I really wish things could’ve been different and we could’ve resolved things better. It’s ultimately my fault and I’m sorry to anyone that’s pearled right now because of me but I also thank you for believing in me and helping me. Either way, I’ve had a lot of fun here and met a lot of really great people. I want to say thank you to everyone who played with me on this server, and I thank you for making this community what it is.

Anyways, I wish you all the best. [4]


This is meant as a notification for the few people that still remember me from the times of Columbia and beyond, so feel free to ignore this thread and to return to the sub if you don't give a damn.

As all things come to pass, so does my time on Civcraft. After pretty much wasting two years of university on Minecraft in general, addicted to a few servers here and there (with the latest being Civcraft), it is time for me to call it quits and to focus on my private life, on getting my BA and on getting some work practice abroad (hopefully in Canada). [5]


Civcraft is, among other things, highly addictive. It, in my experience at least, gives you a sense of achievement upon completing something through the (usually) positive reaction of your peers (other players). It also allows anyone, no matter what they are or who they are in real life, to become anything they wish to be with the only limits being the game and their imagination. A player, once in the game, is able to build personal and deep connections with other players via in-game interaction, Civcraft's mumble server, or other third-party means which creates a greater sense of community and perhaps even belonging.

All of these factors draw the player into Civcraft. It's natural human instinct to crave accomplishment, contact, and community and by having all of these available within Civcraft creates the perfect place to escape to and thus is quite hard to escape from. You become emotionally involved in the well being of your friends as well as what you've build/made whether that be personal wealth, a build, or a town and after investing so much into these things you don't want to let go of them. [6]


Honestly I have had it with this server. All I see is people saying witty and relevant phrases for the mere sake of trying to get upvotes. Not once have I witnessed an in depth conversation happen without it getting derailed because someone sees it as an “epic post moment.” What happened to having integrity? I’d like to be able to advance our society without having some karma-thirsty man child try to stick it to the man and have their name forever imbedded into the top post list just because they said something dsclouse found mildly amusing. [7]


It's been nice returning, but this has really only been a bit of reminiscing for me. Civcraft is dead and gone, and Devoted will never emulate it. Too many good people have left us. As such, and due to certain pressing real life obligations, I have decided to quit. To prevent temptation I am locked in a reinforced room with no pickaxe, and upon tying down the last loose strands my reddit password will be reset to a random string of characters which I will neither remember nor write down.

To the server, I leave as a farewell gift my new book, Last Days of Aurora. It details the history of Aurora in Civcraft 3.0, and reveals in detail the various manipulations and schemes we used to control and destroy a large amount of the server. It is 37 pages long including the title.

Goodbye, and have a nice rest of your life [8]


Sure, it's just a game. But it's a game I've chosen to invest a lot time in and shitfucks like the HCF, captain_Sully, drizzlethe3, rkawesome and all you other "lel i totly le kild yu xDxDxD" idiots in the end have just shit on everything. You are fucking terrible human beings. Seriously. You're a waste of the air I breathe.

I'm done giving a fuck. I'm done having this added stress in my life. I'm done with this server taking my time away from my family. I played this to de-stress from work and the worries of RL. It's not fucking working any more because you are all a bunch of pieces of shit. [9]


I stopped having fun. If I wanted to play on a PvP server, I would just do that. I like the feeling of starting a civilization from the ground up, I like society building, I liked the political debate, and that's why I joined Civcraft. But at least for me, Civcraft soon stopped being Civcraft. It became yet another generic PVP server.

Maybe I am not l33t hardcore enough to cut it, and that's fine. But I cannot stress enough how not fun Minecraft PVP is to me. [10]


I spent some time thinking about this for a while now and I know its best for me to stop playing. I spend time thinking about MC during the day that should be spent on real life. I have kids growing up that take up all my time now anyways and its better if I just let go of this game.

I had years of fun and stress playing Civcraft and it certainly has been a hell of a ride. From my first home above a iron vein in 1.0 to where I am now it was quite a great experience and an educating time.

When I think about it there are hundreds of players I have had interactions with. How can I say goodbye in the right way to all of you? I think its best to just say I appreciate all the interactions I had with all of you. Weather you were good or bad guys form anyone's perspectives we played together in a world with infinite possibilities. We the players make civcraft what it was and has become. I am happy to have been a part of it with all of you.

Well that was kept pretty short and I think that is the best way to say goodbye sometimes. So, goodbye Civcraft. [11]


i quit. for realz this time. its not worth playing here anymore. everybodys gone. i have nothing to miss. its just a wasteland. a reminder of what used to be. to anybody who happens to see this. anybody. screenshot this and post it on the devoted subreddit. so people will be aware. with a heavy heart. farewell to all of you. to every single person who helped me through this short, but nonetheless meaningful journey. but anyways goodbye. [12]


While the server recovered, the sense of community never did. After those events nothing has been the same. The people who I played with and enjoyed the company of were all gone. The server, was devastated. And all of the work that we had done was wiped out.

I just can't cope anymore. I used to think I was safe, now I worry all day if my house, or my friends houses are still there. This isn't how it's supposed to be. This is supposed to be fun!

I'll be gone for a while, I don't know how long. I'm sorry to all that I couldn't help. I'm sorry to all the new guys who sill never experience the true sense of civcraft. And I'm sorry most of all to my friends, because I have let you down.

Take care dear ones, and may you live long and prosper. [13]


Surrounded by darkness we did not venture far... but I stumbled upon a bed with a chest. The chest was unlocked and in it was a couple hundred diamonds. I'm not even kidding. We all strolled into the city in this bad ass armor and bought some land. Then we never really logged on again.

So to that poor guy whose diamonds we stole. Sorry.

Any who bye Civcraft. Barely knew ya but I loved ya [14]


I've taken away many life lessons from Civcraft, its not just TTK's social experiment, it is in many ways your own experiment to understand human nature. I won't outline what I've learnt, it is up to you, the reader, to learn them for yourself. Play the game, enjoy the friends you make and appreciate your community. [15]


In my mind the experiment is complete, I have learned all that I will and I have seen it through not quite to the end but until I saw the top of the last hill in enough detail to satisfy me.

The Civcraft experiment thanks you for your data, have a nice life. [16]


No comments:

Post a Comment