Friday, February 8, 2019

[uncensored-r/Bitcoin] Got a 1099k from Coinbase for trading my bcash for bitcoin. Not sure what to do with it.

The following post by KronusGT is being replicated because some comments within the post(but not the post itself) have been silently removed.

The original post can be found(in censored form) at this link:

np.reddit.com/r/ Bitcoin/comments/aolacu

The original post's content was as follows:


I traded my bcash for bitcoin once Coinbase made it possible to do so. I wouldn't be surprised if many others here did the same thing. As a result I just recently got a 1099k from Coinbase. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with it. I didn't buy/sell/use/trade anything else last year, I just traded the bcash for bitcoin. Unless I'm mistaken, buying bitcoin with bcash isn't a taxable event. If that is the case, how would I go about informing the IRS of this?

P.S. I wasn't even planning to file my taxes because I didn't have any income in 2018.

EDIT: Ugh. So it is taxable. I'm kind of freaking out here. Worse case scenario is I have to sell btc, and probably pay capital gains on it?, just to pay the taxes from the trade... and hope I still come out ahead thanks to the market being way down. I'll be royally pissed if that shitcoin ended up costing me money.


No comments:

Post a Comment