Saturday, February 8, 2020

Need advice on how to deal with parents controlling my finances

This might be a jumbled post, just got off the phone arguing with my parents, and also i know nothing about finances.

So my parents have access to my bank account, i believe my account is under theirs? My dad just took $9000 from my bank account because he thinks i've been spending too much of my student loan money (GRAD+ loans that are completely under my name). He wont transfer the money back and claims its for paying my rent and interest on my undergrad student loans. This isn't the first time i have caught him taking money out of my bank without my consent and this recent event has been the final straw for my father having complete control over every aspect of my life.

I'm currently a first year Medical student with $60,000 in undergrad debt. I don't have my social security, passport, or birth certificate on me. I have $4,000 left in my bank account and as of right now $3000 in bitcoin. My dad bought my car (probably worth $2,000) and my phone, which i'd be happy to part with if it means financial independence. All of my undergrad loans were taken out in my name but i did not consent/ even know they existed until my sophomore year, so i don't have access to the log in for my sallie mae account.

So i guess my main request is what can I do to get the $9,000 back and what steps i can take to finally break away from my parents controlling grip. I don't want to have to call the police/ a lawyer over something like this but i feel so hopeless in this situation.

I do agree i spend a lot but its all within my loan amount and i dont have credit card debt or anything. I spend most of my day studying and i get so depressed about having to spend my 20's constantly studying that i splurge on eating out/ a few electronics, but i know i can pay back the debt once i graduate. Any advice would really help, this situation is stressing me out so much that i can't even imagine sleeping/ let alone get the studying i need in for my upcoming exam.


No comments:

Post a Comment