Thursday, April 2, 2020

Bitcoin.com iOS wallet is garbage, for real

A very cool guy here on reddit sent me ~$3 worth of BCH via the chaintip bot. He recommended the bitcoin.com wallet so I downloaded it for iOS and received the transaction no problem. I was actually really impressed at how well it worked and decided to start using it when the need arises. It's been sitting idle ever since.

Fast forward to now, I'm getting back into coding and thought about whipping up a random BCH online wallet thing - just to practice, nothing serious. I'm at the point where I want to test it and send some BCH to it. Problem is, my Bitcoin.com iOS wallet does not work at all.

It lets me see my balance, but I can't send anything. When I click on send, the window comes up asking me how much I want to send, problem is whatever I put in there just gives me an "insufficient funds" error. I do have funds, I even checked it on the blockchain explorer. Okay I thought, let's try an even smaller amount...like 0,001 BCH. Also doesn't work, because the decimal sign disappears as soon as I hit a number and turns to 0001BCH instead of 0.001BCH.

Alright...maybe it's buggy but I don't want to deal with it, lets export my private key and import it on a trusty dekstop wallet. THERE IS NO OPTION TO EXPORT MY PRIVATE KEY! The guide on their website is outdated and it's telling me to click buttons that don't exist in the current version. There is no way to get my private key out of there, I have looked everywhere.

Kinda furious, I saw that they have a chat built-in...great, let's try that. If they would answer...I've been waiting for an answer for a straight hour and nothing.

Looking for another solution, I downloaded another wallet called "Guarda" that let's me import from recovery mnemonic. I type in my mnemonic that the bitcoin.com wallet gave me and it restores a perfectly brand new wallet that is not mine and has 0 balance.

At this point, I thought about reinstalling the app but I don't want to lose even that small amont that's in there because I want to experiment with it. I am honestly very curious about BCH but there is not a single wallet for iOS that I found works well. All of them focus on having a bazillion currencies supported and none of them actually offer a great experience, including the UI. Exodus is built with Electron or some other shitty non-native platform, Guarda looks like s**t just like BRD and unresponsive.

Why is this like this? Why can't there be a wallet that actually works and is reliable with a seamless UI/UX? All this non-native electron or react bullshit...and no, I don't want to use blockchain[.]info or coinbase mobile wallet because I want to have control of my keys, even if that means losing whatever's in there if I lose my phone. I want to have my crypto "offline" and not registered under an email with anybody...that's the whole point of it.

Edit: yes, I selected the BCH wallet that has a balance and not the BTC wallet...

Edit2: iPhone XR with the latest iOS



No comments:

Post a Comment