Saturday, September 29, 2018

A Story of Despair and Disbelief

Many in the crypto land have had the misfortune of forgetting their wallet password. Few like me have been able to recover the "lost funds". With the help from Dave, I got all my bitcoin back plus and the forked bitcoin cash. Many many thanks to Dave and his service!

It was the December of 2013, a time when the 5-year-old Bitcoin market just experienced one of its most jubilant moments having reached an all-time high of over $1200 weeks ago.  The newly discovered investment opportunity was met with so much fan fair that it was already deemed (albeit a very tiny percentage of Internet population) the next greatest invention since sliced bread.  I was one of those fan boys.  Not only did I start mining bitcoin at home (and turning a small apartment into an oven along the way), I also poured some cold hard (fiat anyway) cash into an intangible asset few gave it any chance of long-term prosperity.  

Well, as the next gold rush raged on, a mistake was made when setting up a wallet, I forgot the wallet password and lost access to more than 6 bitcoins.  Many upon many passwords were attempted and none worked.  Days into this mess, I got wind of someone named Dave and gave his wallet recovery service a shot.  Dave was prompt in getting back to me with my inquiry.  His service fee was 20% of the recovered funds which I found very reasonable IF it worked.  But, no, Dave gave it a few go's after many password combination suggestions from me.  Essentially he was brute hacking the password using the wallet file I had preserved.  This was January 2014. 

In the next few years, I never gave up trying to recover this wallet.  Yet every attempt was met with the exact same failure message.  Not ready to throw in the towel, last year I hired someone to hypnotize myself to travel back in time to that exact moment the password was typed into the computer.  Nope, it probably would have worked for someone else but it didn't work on me.  During these last few years, Dave's email was always in my gmail draft folder, in the event a (useful) hint popped into my head.  

Fast forward to the present.  Dave pleasantly surprised me with a message telling me he had cracked the password.  He never gave up on the task from 4 years ago and using better computer algorithms he was able to un-hide that elusive password.  A few emails later, Dave delivered password and I was able to get the bitcoins back minus the service fee.  He was so thoughtful as to caution me on possible computer security breach and that I should consider encryption for delivery of the newly recovered password from him to me.

It was totally and completely money well spent!  I am now reunited with my long lost bitcoin, something that will be worth a lot more in the future.  Can't thank you enough Dave!  Obviously, I 200% wholeheartedly recommend Dave to anyone in similar situation for his great service, integrity and thoughtfulness!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment