Thursday, November 29, 2018

How to onboard merchant and users on Bitcoin Cash for dummies

Hello

I thought that I could share my experience on onboarding merchant and users. I managed to onboard one merchant in 2018 and some users.

I work in sales, I apply the same methodology I use for adoption. So to begin with, I’ll explain some basic concept in sales:

  • Target audience: this is the people that you want BCH adopted by
  • Qualify: it’s to know if your target audience is available, in need of BCH right now.
  • sales pitch : what’s the benefit of Bitcoin Cash vs current situation?
  • Sales cycle: users can be onboarded in a single shot. For merchants, you may have to pitch them once and come back to close the deal.

Now that I have laid off some concepts, we’re going to see how this works first with users and for merchants.

GUIDE FOR ONBOARDING USERS

1) Find your target audience around you: you need to find users that are interested in BCH. Of course, BCH is for everyone. Right now we’re talking about early adopters, so it will probably be easier to focus on either: - people you know: friends, family, coworkers... - people that have an interest in what BCH provides : new tech, financial freedom for the world... So engineers and libertarians are a good place to start. How to find them? Meetups, associations, your local bar...

2) Qualify: there is not much to qualify here, just find the right time to talk about BCH

3) Pitch: I generally onboard people with 1€ on a Bitcoin.com wallet without saying anything much more. I explain Bitcoin Cash is the cash version of Bitcoin. If you have time and you think someone might be interested in more, you can talk about the benefits of a cross border currency and so on. Users can become ambassadors also. You can also offer your friends to refund your friends with BCH when they buy you a drink for instance.

4) Follow-up: if you can keep track of the users you’ve onboarded, the better. Over time, you’ll know what works, and what doesn’t

GUIDE FOR MERCHANTS

1) Target audience: any type of business can be opened for BCH of course, online or IRL. Some businesses have some incentives to use BCH : - Online businesses - Businesses that have common values with BCH: technology, freedom, etc...

2) Qualify: once you know which business you want to onboard, you need to do some research: - how they can implement BCH as payment? Do they need a point of sales or just use a phone? How can they configure online payments? - is it safe for them? How can they comply with regulations ? - Is it the right time for them? Meaning: if they are currently focusing on something else, they might not be available - Can they earn money? What about BCH price?

3) Pitch: once you’ve qualified your target audience, doing your pitch will be much easier. From my own experience, it goes like this: - find your target audience email or Facebook page - send them an email about how you want to help them use BCH as payment with a 20 min appointment off their work hours - Pitch them at the first appointment using 1€ in a BCH wallet - Answer all the questions they can have for their business, explain they can have new type of customers - you might need to wait for a second or a third appointment to close the deal. Don’t push, be helpful and transparent. Don’t sell price increase as it can backfire, this is a strong argument and it worked from my own experience. But now my merchant don’t want to use BCH for payments, just for tips only, since the price dropped.

4) Follow up: keep track of your merchants, have a professional email where they can reach you. Be a regular customer of their shop. Drama is a big turnoff for newbies, especially for business, so try to avoid it if they come up with questions about other crypto like BTC or BSV or any others.

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE

1) Target audience: I wanted to do meetups in Paris so I focused on geek and libertarians bars. I used google maps to find the bars I targeted.

2) Qualify: I had two bars that were interested, first one helped me to prepare the second. I did qualify during the appointments I had with them, but I strongly recommend being well prepared to start with.

3) Pitch: First I emailed them on Facebook and got them to accept a short meeting. Second I tried to explain how they can implement BCH easily using their phone and a wallet. Three, I organized a meetup in their bar for them to make money with it. I also said that another bar in my area made money with BTC, so they could try it also with BCH since it has low fees and it is in it’s infancy.

4) Follow up: I did all my meetups in the same place, I keep going there and I’m friend with the bar tender. Price drop was kind of annoying but he still enjoys being a BCH business. He still accepts BCH for tips since price dropped.

—————-

I hope that this will be helpful for all of you. Remember that to be a good BCH ambassador is not about making good pitches but more of being very well organized!

Good luck with adoption in your area!



No comments:

Post a Comment