Thursday, September 5, 2019

Stock trading game

I'm going to be hosting an event where I'd like to teach participants about stock trading. My idea is to make it interactive and have a fantasy stock trading game that they can engage with in real time on their phones during the presentation. Here are the features I'd like it to have:

  • Each participant starts with the same amount of money
  • There will be rounds of trading throughout the presentation
  • I'd like for stock prices to be affected by demand and supply. Currently, I'm thinking something simple like price changes by (1 + (number of stocks purchased / total stocks in circulation)). So a stock at price 1 will change to 1.1 if 10 stocks were purchased with 100 stocks in circulation. Similarly, prices would decrease the more stocks are sold.
  • There will be random events at the end of each round that further affects the price of certain stocks. Some of these events will be based on data gathered from form submissions by the participants during the presentation. Others might pull real time data like bitcoin price, for example.

Is this possible using Google Forms and Sheets, or is this too ambitious? I have some of the functionality down, but my main issue is tracking. Given the audience, I can reasonably expect people to be honest so I'm thinking of just asking them to enter their name into each trading round's form. In the Google Sheet response, it is then easy to match the trading data to their name. The problem is, in Google Forms, I need a way to restrict their purchases based on the updated price and how much money they have. I also need a way for them to check their portfolio.

Not sure if I've explained this well enough, but is Google Forms / Sheets the right tool for the job here? Is there some other tool that would work better?


No comments:

Post a Comment