Saturday, December 14, 2019

How can I create a think-tank to come up with a solution for Iran's imminent internet shutdown?

I'm really, really sorry that I chose this sub for this thread, but I couldn't find any other place. To the mods, please, find it in your heart to let this thread remain. Delete the political posts if you wish, but let the on-topic posts remain. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I really, really have no other venue to rely on.

/r/networking mods just deleted my thread, giving me a convoluted reason that "this subject is related to one locale and is not enjoyable by all of our readers". Well, their sub, internet is a dictatorship after all. In case you're interested in reading my post, here it is. Scroll down for the main material of my post, regarding /r/cscareerquestions.

President Rouhani, who once said "access to internet is any citizen's birthright" has reneged on his word and now he wants to shut down Iranian people's access to the internet, this time for good. Shutting down the internet has always been a good deterrent for the protests which lit up Iran ablaze. They shut down the internet in 2009 and people stopped. They shut down the internet in 2010 and people stopped. They shut down the internet in 2017 and recently, the internet was out for exactly a week in most parts of Iran and this was a major deterrent for Iranians to stop protesting and go home. It is impossible to organize protests using traditional ways of communication. Besides, they could just shut down the phones! They aren't above anything, are they?

I have emailed the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs a couple of times, inquiring them about what their plans are regarding this inevitable event. I'm a programming student, and I have cooked up a plan to provide Iranians with premium internet, which they have to pay between 5$ to 10$ for each month, but this plan is impossible to come to fruition without the State Departments aid.

I'm a programming student who lives in Iran. I'm a Christian convert (not baptized yet) and I hate the regime. I'm not afraid of them. And I have told the State Department that I am ready to help them with anything, almost anything, if they trust me. I know they have their own Iranian experts, but I doubt they are very adept in their job. For example, Pompeo sanctioned Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi for the recent outage. Sure, he's the minister of communications, but he wasn't at all responsible for the shutdown. Who shut down the internet? A body called "Higher Council of Security". They were behind it. And I'm pretty sure they are, with their unshaven faces and the print of "mohr" on their foreheads, cooking up another plan to limit out access to the internet. The domestic internet is very operational. It could replace the real internet at any minute, cutting access to web, VoIP, mail, and most important of all, Usenet!

So what shall we do? Iranians are willing to pay for access to free internet, if this happens. I say, Iranians are willing to spend at maximum $10 a month for a free, uncensored internet. If BNE doesn't reply to my email, please, one of you, you can launch a startup to help us do this. The transactions could happen via an in-app cryptocurrency. Or Bitcoin. We could create a mesh network that can cover all 8 major cities, or at least, 3 biggest cities of Iran. Thankfully, there's a satellite hovering over Iran called Yahsat. It's very easy to aim a dish at Yahsat, and most Iranians have dishes. They have receiver LNBs, but not transmitter LNBs. We should create an steady flow of transmitter LNBs to Iran. Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan. There's at least two million electronic engineers in Iran. They can create ready-to-install kits for people. We can write a custom firmware for people's routers using Rust, we could train "nassabs", people who install dishes for people, to set up satellite internet. We could use HF channels, using regular ham radio equipment, to carry internet signals.

But why should we give the Iranians internet access? Aren't they the same people who shout "Death to America"? First, that's like 2-3% of Iranians. Most Iranians love West. Most my friends watch Western movies, and wish to emulate Western lifestyle in their diurnal lives. For example, Friends may just be an unfunny TV show to you guys, but for Iranians, its' a manifesto. Plus, what's better than showing these 3% outliers that your intentions are good, other than steady internet connection? Most Iranians have relatives abroad. Without internet, they are doomed. But more importantly, when finally protests erupt, a strong communication framework shall be the death of Islamic Republic.

To the mods of this sub, please, please let this thread remain. I will not discuss politics. Please, only discuss the technical side of things. If you have any doubts as to the imminence of things, read this:

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/iransource/iranians-fear-a-permanent-internet-blackout-is-in-the-making/

It makes it seem like their harboring some sort of ailment towards Iranians in general, but again, it's their sub, and it just happens to the only networking sub on Reddit.

Ok. The internet in Iran is not down yet. I want to use this opportunity to do all my bidding to find an alternative way to give Iranians access to the internet. I want it to be slick. And as I said earlier, it shouldn't be free, we're not running a charity here. $10-$12 a month should do the trick. I want to start a think-tank, comprised of Iranians, Westerners, and Easterners alike. I'm a programmer, but we need economists, sysadmins, communications majors, media majors, MBAs, lawyers, and all sorts of people to be a part of this think-tank. We need to find a slick, cheap, untrackable way for Iranians to access the internet and organize protests. Then we could branch to North Korea! China! Russia! Everyone will be compensated when the network is up

So anyone, if you can help me achieve my dream, please PM me, or contact me at chubakbidpaa [at] gmail [dot] com. It's not only about Iran, but it's about other countries that limit the access to the internet as well. We could have a private subreddit. Or a Discord server. Liberty shall prevail!

Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment