Monday, December 2, 2019

UPDATE: A few weeks ago I made a post about my first public speaking centered around my startup. Here's how it went

Last Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/startup/comments/e0o3nh/i_got_the_opportunity_to_be_a_speaker_at_a_local/Industry: Cryptocurrency and BlockchainStartup: StrmlineFirst of all, I want to personally thank everyone who commented on that post that gave me good insight on what to say and what to do as far as speaking goes. I won't write too much about it but I'll give a brief summary of what I talked about. I'll go into what tips helped me, and what I'll do in the near future that stemmed from this, also, I'll go over something interesting occurred. The event was at a local conference hall around 30 people came (I assume most people were still traveling for the holidays).

Summary

I was the first speaker and it was around 6 pm, so I had to do a good job getting the crowd awake lol. I didn't want to start talking about my business right off the back and make it seem like I was there to sell them on something. I took u/surrealsury advice:

Focus on the journey and the lessons you learned and less about the startup itself. People appreciate learning the “secrets” and how they can become better entrepreneurs and follow in your footsteps...

That's to focus on the journey and my story which lead me to this point. I talked about how my very first entrepreneur journey started in high school with a classmate (who's now my lifelong best friend). He told me about Yu-Gi-Oh cards and how he wanted me to sell all of the cards he had in stock. I took the opportunity as a game, and sold it for him (made out with about $500 in a few weeks) then returned him all the money. He let me keep $200, and he used the rest to buy more cards. From there we were in business. We started to expand operations, but we started to have people who were selling for us to steal money or steal supply and eventually we got kicked out of the library for "gambling" when we weren't doing that. From there we went on with business venture to business venture.

NOTE: I started with that story to add some relatability to the audience. I knew the audience was career/money/entrepreneur-driven, therefore, I wanted to open up with a cute and comedic story to get them interested.

Then I trailed my story to go into when I first heard and learn about cryptocurrency. I started to center the focus back on the core topic. While in high school, I took computer science classes that taught students how to code, and think about future technology. One of the presentations a classmate made back in Spring 2017 was talking about Bitcoin and how it increased from $70 - $1000. I never knew the technology existed; therefore, I researched it and sought to be a viable investment option. I then sought to find ways where I could use bitcoin, but not many people accepted it for purchase. I resigned from my Real Estate training to put 100% of my skills into learning to coding apps. One idea I had was to build a platform that made people be able to sell, buy, and rent houses with cryptocurrency. After facing a ton of regulatory issues, well-funded competitors, and the overall complexity of the startup, I decided to step away and focus on something more achievable. A cryptocurrency retail marketplace! Not for homes though, mainly focused on products.

What Helped Me

I know everyone says that picturing everyone naked is the best way to go, but not in this instance. I actually did a little bit of a warm-up by just talking to people all day. Practicing projecting my voice. It also made me became more focused on what I was talking about, and the same way I constructed the conversation, was the same structure I had in mind to structure my speaking.

I had the full stage so I use the space given to be more animated, in a sense allowing my body to do some of the action without speaking.

I have a busy schedule by nature, so always being on the go made me more focused on being in the moment, and conveying the emotions of the moment. I got a little lost in within myself retelling my life story as if I was there in the moment all over again.

What Came From This

I networked with someone who's involved with radio and perhaps would be open to bringing my startup on his radio show once it gets the necessary traction.

I made a couple sells with the prime product on the app, The Crypto Box.

Lastly, It made me want to speak and push forth more. Which I plan to do

Hopefully, this helps someone if ever they are seeking to grow their startup. I hope the best for you all

If you have any questions, comment or concerns feel free to leave them down below!

And be sure to check out our app! Strmline! We are still in beta but soon we will launch more features. If you are interested in joining the team. Contact me!!


No comments:

Post a Comment