Tuesday, November 3, 2020

TIFU by getting scammed with cryptocurrency by a Tinder match

So, sorry about the long text in advance, but im afraid it's needed.

So a week or so ago, I matched with this pretty girl on Tinder, and we started talking along and everything seemed fine, she didn't seem off at all and responded rather personally and interested. A Chinese girl, in her 20's.

We talked for quite a few days, and one day, after i asked what she was doing at the moment she told me she was into trading as a hobby, since we talked about her main occupation of jewellery designer, and made quite a bit of money recently, that she was investing.

Since I had a friend who knew a bit about it, and we talked lot about crypto and stuff, I thought I knew the basics or at least enough. She told me, after I asked, again, making no pressure, that she was investing in this new BLTO coin, in a market called Lenmo.com, again, all this in between good conversations and the typical stuff. Again, all of this in the span of days.

My stupid, greedy, high, horny and lonely ass totally fell for the compliments and offers to help getting started on that exchange place, all while warning me of its dangers as if caring about me.

Her aunt was a finance advisor in Singapore and she had told her that this coin was going to be listed in 2 months time, At which point its value would be a lot bigger and selling the coin would mean a great profit. She was just sharing her plan with me, nothing seemed forced or off.

She sent screenshots of her investments in the likes of 20k in this exchange market, along with guiding me through all the process, just because i asked and i never for a second doubted a thing. Cant even begin to describe the felling of loss of trust in myself i feel right now.

Everything was fine, no red flags, until just after I had made a conversion from bitcoin to BLTO's in Lenmo.com .

First i needed some kind of invitation code to buy the coins, that she gave me, explaining it was to "prevent malicious registration". Unquestioned, the code was inserted.

Just to see how i'd do it later, I tried changing back from BLTO to bitcoin again, and the same option to buy more BLTO's appeared. I asked her and she explained it was because the coin hadn't been listed yet, so we were in the internal subscription stage, so you couldn't yet retrieve anything you had deposited. Somehow, i didn't question that.

I say somehow sarcastically, I can see i'm just stupid and greedy and easily deceivable.

In any case, we just talked a bit more about mundane stuff and she said she went to bed. Of course i only searched Lenmo after making the transaction, and found only an entry about it online on a forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5284365.0 , in which someone asks if anyone has ever heard of this exchange, and the consensus is that it is not only unknown, but a fake, and untrustworthy.

So, basically, i got scammed for 200 of my hard earned moneys, can no longer afford to go home for the holidays as i live abroad, and received a well deserved ego punch. I'm not sure if she is going to reply tomorrow, but i have no idea how or even if i can get the money back if she answers, so i don't see the point in letting her know i've realised my own stupidity.

TL;DR: Matched with a girl on Tinder, she was cute and smart, had a hobbie of trading crypto and an aunt with inside info, showed me some photo of her investments and taught me how to trade to this great coin that was going to blow up, all in this fake exchange market, that took my already small funds and self confidence.



No comments:

Post a Comment