Monday, December 7, 2020

Bored? Looking for some remote stuff? Here are a few things I've got going on this week, maybe you'll find them interesting too?

Hey r/bellingham... I don't know about you, but I have been going stir crazy over the last month especially. I think it's because the weather is colder and I am not going for as many walks as I was during the spring and summer. Fortunately

Anyway, if you're looking for something to do from the comfort of your couch, here are a few things I'm involved with this week:

For about the past year I've been the co-organizer for the Bellingham Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Meetup group. Our monthly meeting is tonight at 6:30pm. You have to RSVP on the event page to see the Zoom details, but if you don't have a meetup account just PM me and I can send you a link.

OK, so maybe magic internet money isn't for you... have you ever felt uncomfortable in front of a crowd or when giving a presentation at work? Toastmasters can help! I've been a Toastmasters for the past 2+ years and I have never felt more confident in front of a crowd, and I've seen measurable benefits in my career (promotions, increased salary) that I believe can be directly traced to the skills and mentorship Toastmasters has provided. Bellingham Electronic Toastmasters (temporarily rebranded from Bellingham Evening Toastmasters to reflect our present reality) meets tomorrow at 7pm. Guests are given a few opportunities to speak, but obviously it's not required if you'd rather just observe. More details can be found here.

And lastly, going back to the nerd theme, I've had a ton of people reach out to me over the past few months to ask about bitcoin. I love talking about it, truly, but I will say that answering the same basic questions over and over can get a little tedious. As such, I've decided to offer a Bitcoin 101 class at 3pm this Saturday, 12/12! We'll cover: what is bitcoin, why you should care, how to obtain bitcoin, how to secure it, and how to avoid common scams in the space. There will be time for Q&A at the end. This 45-60 minute session is 100% free and involves zero sales pitch of any kind. The signup form does ask for your name and email, but that's only so I can contact you later this week with the meeting details. Your information will never be given away or sold, and honestly for all I care you can use a fake name and burner email.

Hope to see you at one (or all?) of these events this week... If you do show up, please let me know that it's because you saw this. :) In the spirit of the post, drop info for any other remote events you know of happening this week in a comment below! 👇


No comments:

Post a Comment