Thursday, March 11, 2021

I do not consider myself a prepper, but I am prepared

Some have voiced concerns about this /sub being filled with Preppers. I want to put out an alternative view.

Imagine if tomorrow morning none of our debit or credit cards worked, and would not work for 2 weeks. How would you get gas? Food? What would the bank branch be like? What about a hurricane or California forest fire? Or electrical grid goes down like Texas?

I am a greying Ape, and when (not if) challenging times occur, my wife & I can weather the storm. I also have a Son and Granddaughter that I would have responsibilities for. Others can also be brought under our large umbrella.

During the 2008 GFC, I remember going to the BofA branch office, and the line was around the building with people trying to withdraw money. It really became real to me that to stop a run on the bank the branch has 1 teller working slowly. ATM only allowed $100 withdrawal.

In Greece, they simply closed the banks for a "Holiday". Same with Cyprus. See what happened to those citizens when the SHTF. In Mexico, the New Peso is the the Old Peso with the last 3 zero's cut off. This was the 1980-1990 Tequila crisis. Not theoretical, but reality.

I actually remember the terrible inflation in the 70's. I actually remember price controls on the Testor's paint that I used on the plastic models I built. Price controls meant a lot of things I wanted were simply not in stock. Parents house they bought for $14,000 sold a few years later for $55,000. Sound familiar? Did not really understand inflation until much later...

So, What have I done?

Debt free

Group of friends and associates with Skills and Tools that I do not possess.

30 Gallons of gasoline & diesel that is constantly rotated.

We have several thousand dollars sitting alongside the large stack of 1 oz silver rounds in the safe, should the U.S. have a Bank Holiday.

We have our Covid "Strategic Stockpile" of common canned goods and other food. Cuts down on the trips out. Have risk factors for Covid; trying to be safe...

We have a propane standby generator for when the power goes out. It does, 1-2 times a month. Also have a well, which allows for 3 weeks of easy, off-grid life.

Our audited "Personal Central Bank", where there is Physical Gold & Silver and cash.

Minimal firearms, but no AR's/AK's; just shotguns, sidearms and a 30-30 Winchester. Friends have multiple AR's with lots of ammo (should an unlikely MAD MAX event occur).

While I am older, I try to really understand how the financial system actually works. Currencies, FX, Stocks, etc. Not a day trader, but manage my own portfolio. Mainly try to locate value and trends, then position accordingly.

Studied Blockchain technology and Bitcoin. Believe Blockchain is a game-changing technology but not Bitcoin. Central Banks have Gold as their reserve asset; not any significant amount in Bitcoin. CB's will change the rules to their advantage, and what they control will remain the basis IMHO.

I do not worry, sleep well at night, etc. but know that I have responsibilities. I must make what-ever preparations are necessary to provide a safe and secure home for my family. I do not trust the Local, State or federal government to rescue me...

This is meant to simply explain what I have done and am doing. Certainly not saying I am right...

Demented Ape

P.S. Keep Stacking!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment