Wednesday, October 30, 2019

A question about a particular part of how blockchain works.

I still don't fully understand blockchain, and I just spent some time trying to research it online and even watching a child explain it in a youtube video meant for kids, and either I'm missing something really obvious, or I'm just stupid, or something lol.

So this article: https://cointelegraph.com/bitcoin-for-beginners/how-blockchain-technology-works-guide-for-beginners

ALMOST explains it for me, but I keep getting hung up on one part:

"Bob spread his spreadsheet diary over 5,000 computers, which were all over the world. These computers are called nodes. Every time a transaction occurs it has to be approved by the nodes, each of whom checks its validity. Once every node has checked a transaction there is a sort of electronic vote, as some nodes may think the transaction is valid and others think it is a fraud."

My question is: How do the 5,000 computers "check for validity", or "vote"? If some random person in China sends $5 to someone in India, and that transaction shows up as a block in the blockchain... what is that process for all the 5,000 computers? Is there a popup on your computer if you're one of the 5,000 that says "Approve this transaction", when the block gets added?

Or am I misunderstanding this part?



No comments:

Post a Comment