Saturday, November 28, 2020

My twin brother invested in Bitcoin and became a multimillionaire, while I invested in silver

Posting on a throwaway account, for obvious reasons.

In 2013, my uncle passed away from pancreatic cancer. In his will, he left my twin brother and I $100,000 each.

My brother and I were talking about our different investments at the time, and how we were going to invest our new money. For the last decade or so, I’ve been a silver enthusiast, and I argued that silver was, IMO, the best alternative investment to stocks and bonds. He had just learned about Bitcoin and was adamant that the return could be exponential. I had vehemently argued against Bitcoin, saying that it was pure speculation and would be a total waste of money. I was so sure that Bitcoin would crash.

Well, he ended up investing about 50k into Bitcoin around then (when Bitcoin was ~$100 each), for over 500 coins. I, on the other, invested most of it into stocks, and about 30k into silver.

His 50k Bitcoin investment, which was made within months of the same time as my 30k silver investment, is now worth over $10 million. My 30k silver investment in 2013 is now worth about 26k, with my entire net worth below 100k. His wealth in Bitcoin alone is more than 100 times greater than my entire net worth.

He has never sold any of his Bitcoins. He’s never even traded them for other crypto currencies. His job pays him very well, so he’s never really had liquidity issues. He has still 500+ coins, and he’s going to retire soon. He is planning to sell his house, travel, and live as an investor.

Now, he did give me one Bitcoin. And I will not sell it. As happy as I am for him, though, it really hurts to hear about his fortune and bright future, and not be jealous. I’ve stopped attending family events (him too), because I can’t get over the overwhelming thought of “hey, you should’ve done what your brother did”, at every waking moment. It’s extremely depressing. I try to be thankful for what I do have, and I try to be thankful since I know that many other people in the world have it way worse. But I don’t know if I’ll ever get over it. The thought that “if you made the same investment, you wouldn’t have to work anymore” always comes to me, in every area of my life. I always think to myself, you wouldn’t have to work, or you wouldn’t have money issues like this if you just invested a little into Bitcoin. This thought is especially pervasive whenever I’m at work, and it is a crushing feeling.

Any advice on how to cope?


No comments:

Post a Comment