Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Two questions regarding taxes

Hey all! I have two questions for you U.S.A. folks here about the glorious tax season approaching.

1) Note: I am NOT going to do this and I am ABSOLUTELY NOT endorsing tax evasion. I probably won’t have to pay any taxes at all, it’s just a question I have.

Not sure if you all have seen the news, but some person in government is proposing taxing unrealized gains from investments. Stupid idea. Anyways, if this WERE to happen, they would obviously come after crypto as well.

Let’s say I bought crypto 6 months ago and owe unrealized gains taxes on it. If I “lost” my crypto by sending it to my wallet, but “accidentally” sent it to a wrong address, if I told the IRS that, would I still be taxed for it?

2) if I bought bitcoin 4 years ago, then traded it for Nano two years after that, would both events be considered long term capital gains and be taxed less or not at all?

Thank you for any and all help!


No comments:

Post a Comment