Thursday, February 18, 2021

Forgot crypto tax filling as a foreigner.

Hello,I just realized I made a huge mistake. I am a foreign national who is a college student in the US. I have filed my taxes in 2017, 2018, 2019 so far as a non-resident alien.

This is the list of events concerning my crypto accounts:

- Around Nov. 2017 I opened a Gemini (CryptoCurrency) account and deposited $2k. My Gemini account is opened under my US address and ID.

- In Dec. 2017, I transferred my coins to Poloniex (CryptoCurrency)

- From Dec 2017 till early 2018, using Poloniex I bought and sold lots of coins for a few months and lost almost all of my assets. Lost my interest and forgot about these assets.

- In Dec 2019, I got an email that Poloniex is shutting down and I should move whatever I have. So I transferred those coins to bitcoin and transferred them to Gemini. At that time this amount was about 400 dollars. Never paid much attention.

- Just checked in Feb. 2021 and my Gemini account says I have $3000 in my account. Bitcoin really picked up.

Until now it never occurred to me that I have to file cryptocurrency in my tax returns even if I am a foreign national (I know HUGE mistake).

I can't access Poloniex anymore since they disabled my account. Gemini has my transaction history though. In 2017, I put in around $2k and now I have $2.8k. I believe I made no transaction whatsoever since early 2018 apart from transferring coins from Poloniex to Gemini in late 2019, no transactions in 2020. I have no history of my transactions on Poloniex.

Would I have to amend all of my tax returns to file this little amount of cryptocurrency that I own?

If so, can anyone please guide me as to how I can start with this procedure?

Thank you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment