Friday, April 2, 2021

What is a taxable event with crypto?

For years now I have understood that crypto tax falls under capital gains tax and that it was only taxable if one cashed out to fiat. Now I was trying to find out more on this and found the following recent article.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/sars-and-tax-on-cryptocurrencies-like-bitcoin-2021-3

If I understand this correctly any transaction in crypto could be seen as a taxable event and not just when converting to fiat?

So let's say I buy BTC with zar on a local exchange and then move it to another international exchange to trade for a coin I could not purchase locally with zar. Is that trade taxable? Sometimes I need to trade into another crypto just to get the coin I want for example xrp > usdt > other coin. Are all steps here taxable even when done within minutes of each other?

Edit : usdt not usd

Edit2: To be clear in the scenario above when trading between other coins the goal has mostly been for long term holding and not active trading after acquiring the end coin


No comments:

Post a Comment