Friday, August 13, 2021

Lost $80,000 to a Scam to buy a Bitcoin Mining Machine

I think we might be screwed. My girlfriend's father lost most of his life savings in a Coinbase scam. Here was the matter of events:

My girlfriend's father bought a $900 Bitcoin mining machine off of Alibaba. After, the vendor/scammer requested Bitcoin through Coinbase to pay for import fees, shipping fees, whatever fees. The vendor received these fees through Coinbase on his/her personal wallet.

Now, my girlfriend's father is an older man, an honest man, and works a blue-collar job. He believed that this vendor was being truthful when the vendor stated that all of these fees would be reimbursed upon import. But, it is now $80,000 that he has paid in Bitcoin to this vendor through Coinbase.

My girlfriend called me, and I told her immediately that this was a scam and that her father should not pay this guy any more money. What we have is:

- Screenshots of all of the transactions

- The vendor's Coinbase wallet number

- Little hope left

If anybody has any recommendations as to who we can call, which subreddit this question might belong in, or any other advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, in the comments, please be nice; the father already feels awful for this mistake. Reddit is one of the most wholesome communities that I have been a part of, so I am not too worried about that. Nevertheless, scammers are good at what they do, and they hurt some of the kindest people closest to us.

Edit: Jurisdiction is Federal (U.S.)


No comments:

Post a Comment