Saturday, February 26, 2022

Why We Watch. Why We Care.

Despite living 10K kilometers from Ukraine, it feels like its cities and towns are in my backyard. I see men and women of all ages with faces devoid of fear. I see my friends, my siblings, my parents and grandparents.

Today marks the third day that I've stayed up late into the night so I can watch the sun rise over Kyiv. I have a livestream going 24hrs/day in our home, and monitor the news and threads constantly. When attempting to discuss this historic event with family and friends, I've been met with indifference or fatigue:

  • I really haven't caught up on what's going on.
  • I just can't absorb that right now.
  • Why do you make yourself suffer, when there's nothing you can do?

I get it - there will always be those who decide that its out of sight, out of mind. Just like there are those who are first to post "Prayers up for Ukraine", which is as close to useless as not caring at all.

But that's not why I'm here ... reading, watching, and virtually living such a pivotal point in human history. I am passionately following this conflict (without pause) because those who are fighting for freedom don't have the choice to shut it off or take a break.

It feels like we're live-streaming our own demise, but I have newfound hope that the technology that's created this new lens for us to witness the unfiltered human cost of war will inspire more to passionately work towards never allowing it to happen again.

Despite any achievements we’ve made as a human race, we still show such casual indifference when it comes to killing our own species, while the powers of the world play the game without consequence. Regardless of how dark this world continues to appear, I still believe that the majority of the human race want nothing more than to enjoy the promises of the future together.

Ukraine has been unfairly tapped to defend the cause of freedom, and without being able to offer more than thoughts and prayers, I wish there was more we could do. Besides some Bitcoin, this is what I have to offer:

Your bravery is inspiring to me and many.

I believe it will help lift the cloud of complacency that's fallen over the world. You've given the world heroes to admire. You've shown us while fear is a natural human instinct, it need not control our actions.

I (along with many others) will continue to read, research, watch and try absorb this experience in its sincerest form. Hopefully, one day in the near future when the darkness has passed, I will be able to see a sun rise over Kyiv with my own eyes, as I pay my respects for the courage you've inspired in so many.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Slava Ukraini! Heroiam slava!


No comments:

Post a Comment