Monday, December 20, 2021

Life event forces biggest financial advice-perspective, and I hope this is valuable if you are going through something similar.

I hope this post can provide a point of view for people in a similar situation. My choice is anxiety producing but necessary. I am not the type to avoid things.

I think that many people who have been in bitcoin can "wait it out" and will say "Never sell, hodl". While this is probably the best advice long term, we all don't have that luxury. For example, someone who has no kids and 40 btc can literally just wait until the next 5 years...and especially if they have an income that exceeds their bills so they can add to their position.

So here is my choice: An event has happened where I need money. I own 2 rental properties. I either sell my bitcoin (and some other crypto) or I sell my real estate. I am 38, no kids. This will be the most important financial decision of my life to this point.

This could apply to you if you are deciding to sell, hold, or add. After all, these are only assets. You are deciding which ones you want at the time.

If I sell my bitcoin and keep my properties, I think I guarantee myself an above average middle class lifestyle. My property area is in a growing city, the neighborhood has a lot of rich people moving in, and the real estate commands a premium on their specs. They are prime real estate holdings. I have had shit real estate holdings. I know the difference. I lose potential appreciation of bitcoin.

If I sell my real estate, I put myself in a much higher risk/reward category. If bitcoin fails, or let's say goes to 20k and stays there for a long time, my financial worth is crushed. If I sell my real estate, I essentially am placing a bet on bitcoin and crypto going mainstream. One of the things that bugs me is that crypto could succeed and it's success could pull a lot of money from bitcoin. I have this as a real possibility.

I've wrestled with this idea for the last couple weeks. I've been thinking about it in general for months. I am trying to be honest with myself: This is a big decision. If I was advising my friend, what would I say?

I'd say I've learned that betting against technology has been a horrible, horrible bet. Tesla, amazon, netflix, google-these are the public companies-the real wealth is in the private companies that then go public. Betting against tech almost always loses. Most people lose because they want things to go what makes them comfortable-their bets = their comfort zone.

I've also learned that most people misunderstand risk. I have two social circles, and the one where I am the poorest-well, I can confidently say I know people that have embraced bitcoin and have sold real estate. I have also seen that most people are scared out of their mind because they did big bets, and they have families. They need a quick bet-they cannot wait five, let alone 10 years.

Bitcoin is the starting point of a new tech. A tech that is independently verified. It is facing very similar attacks to other technologies-it's called a scam, it's called emperor's new clothes, the old establishments hate it, and young people embrace it.

My view point is that all the people saying bitcoin to 100-150k year end have been wrong, and those saying it will be 10k are wrong. I believe that bitcoin and crypto will NOT go away. There is simply too much adoption. I like the idea of having a capped supply-everything I've seen with a capped supply goes up in price. I don't think the governments can ever make rates real -too much debt for that-and I think every time they've stopped printing they say sorry and print more. I don't think they can allow a major recession. I do believe that bitcoin is a risk asset and will sell off in the next financial turndown. I don't want to trade it because I am not good at that and the risk of selling to buy back lower is much bigger than adding. I saw multiple people say sell at 19k, etc.

After wrestling with this idea, I came up with a question that led to two other questions. If you are in a similar position, you could ask yourself the same:

  1. What do I want?
  2. What choice enables me to get what I want?
  3. Do I understand the risks I am taking, and I am willing to go forward taking those risks?
  4. If I decide to take what I perceive as the less risky choice, am I going to be happy with the results I predict?

Here are my answers.

  1. I want to be wealthy enough to make work a choice. This doesn't mean rolls royce. This means making work a choice in a first world country. I love to travel, but this is what I want for my own peace of mind.
  2. Selling real estate and buying bitcoin. The only way real estate enables this is if rates go way lower (which I expect)-but bitcoin then goes nuts.
  3. Yes. I am okay taking those risks. I am 38. I do not want to make a choice at 50.
  4. No, I will be free at 50 most likely. Health issues I have mean I might not make it even to 40. I do not accept the less risky/upper middle class lifestyle choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment