Saturday, March 27, 2021

Can someone ELI5 why Michael Saylor says its beneficial to borrow against crypto. I can't get my head around it.

He says it is a non taxable event to borrow money vs selling. And you get to keep your btc. But you have to always extend the loan (which will work because fiat loses in value compared to btc) to pay for the interest. And I suppose he means that I should put the money I loan into stocks or something to let them work for me. However if extend your loan then you owe more money, so in essence your collateral, ie your Bitcoin becomes less worth. Now how is that different to selling small amounts of btc every year? I mean I have to pay tax for revenue I make on the stocks... and if I spend the money then I just devalue my btc collateral. If lender decides to liquidate my collateral then I have to pay the tax I presume.

Did he think this through or am I being slow? Please ELI5 to me...


No comments:

Post a Comment