Tuesday, February 1, 2022

If no 1099-misc is sent to you, does that mean nothing is reported to the IRS by BlockFi?

To provide some context, I am in the process of generating my tax forms on CryptoTrader.Tax and TurboTax and I just remembered that I briefly deposited a small amount of BTC into BlockFi for a few weeks, if that, I cannot remember how long exactly but it wasn't for long. I probably earned a miniscule amount of interest, then took everything out and sent it back to my previous exchange of choice at the time.

I found the exact numbers, when I moved it out of the exchange, it was 0.04235586 BTC and when it went back it was 0.04288597. Later on in the year I sold a chunk of bitcoin creating a taxable event which includes the cost basis of that super small amount of interest I earned via blockfi.

unfortunately, I no longer have access to the authenticator I used and am trying to decide if it's worth going through the trouble of reclaiming my account to report this small amount to the IRS or if it won't matter. It was a capital loss anyway, so is it worth it or just say fuck it?


No comments:

Post a Comment