Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Cero Rio AMA Transcript

Rugemie at 10:19 PM - What is your label called?

It's Skyline. Joint piece with ED. https://soundcloud.com/theskylinecollective

Bardock Obrama at 10:20 PM - What is your gear and software? How long have you been producing for?

I've been producing since October 2015. I use a mixture of FL 11 and 12 (haven't touched 20 yet), an old Casio keyboard, and Akai MPK mini beat machine.

HolyToast at 10:20 PM - Where do you see future funk heading in the next 2-3 years?

Not anywhere too big too fast, but the hits will keep coming so long as the artist base keep producing and remain consistent.

Mere at 10:21 PM - Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?

I think He's heard a few good albums and think there's help for us yet.

Rugemie at 10:25 PM - When did you start as an artist and label?

I started an SC in late 2015 and was admitted into Sunrise Collective spring of 2016. I enjoyed all forms of music but funk/soul/R&B/hip hop has been a pretty influential part of my tastes.

kmp at 10:26 PM - Would you say that an album's cover art and overall presentation is just as important as the music within it?

I think it is. However I feel there's levels to it, looks can definitely be deceiving on both ends. Depends on what the artist(s) want to have their music/art to be presented as.

Reigs at 10:28 PM - Who or what got you interested in Future Funk and what keeps you wanting to produce more in the genre?

There was a playlist I came across with a bunch of music from 94.20AM that got me very interested in listening to more. I was a funk buff in the first place so I started digging through some of my mother's old tapes. Later on, a friend had a free copy of FL Studio for me and I started messing around with some Earth, Wind, and Fire. One thing -> another and you know how the story goes since. Main thing that keeps me going is seeing the friends I've made throughout the years of making FF continue to develop sounds. I hope to be able to do the same.

Mere at 10:28 PM - Do you think life has meaning?

Yes. You gotta go figure it out, and that's how life works.

Rugemie at 10:30 PM - do you still think the FF community is cool after the admins forgot your ama?

Time zones are a bitch I'm sure.

Bardock Obrama at 10:30 PM - What will bitcoin rise to?

I do not dabble in the Bitcoins, but I know of people who've gotten some decent bank off it though.

Fat! at 10:31 PM - What inspired you to make music?

It was all about messing around with the music I grew up with at first. But then I realized I could do much more to make people dance and learn about a great genre of music from decades ago that could still be relatable to the present time.

Samidare at 10:33 PM - Is toonami good for future funk and if so do you remember Swayzak the computer virus?

I definitely think so. There are definitely some vibes from both themes that could be amazing. (and nah don't remember Swayzak atm)

Fat! at 10:37 PM - What was one of the greatest moments in your music career?

Seeing Towards the Future on a physical tape. That was really real to me.

Robby G. Saturday at 10:40 PM - More music coming?

Yep! I'm dropping an album soonish early next year.

Flammy at 10:45 PM - Chicken or Beef ?

I had both to eat today, thanks Chipotle.

Flammy at 10:49 PM - How did you find this artist name “Cero Rio” ?

It was an old proverb like knowledge flows like a river of nothingness. Cero Rio is Nothing River in Spanish. I just took it from there because Nothing River didn't sound cool enough.

ΛULTURON at 10:54 PM - Do you have a favorite super robot? If so, which one?

Big O.

Flammy at 10:54 PM - Your favorite anime character ?

Mio from Nichijou.

Tokyo Wanderer at 10:54 PM - How do you manage your work time with your musical project?

Very carefully. I work at my job during the week, work on my events during the weekends, and music on my off time. I've created a better schedule for it and I'm still getting used to it, but it's all good.

Flammy at 10:57 PM - Who is your favorite future funk artist ?

Top 5 (no order) is ED., Tendencies, Tokyo Wanderer, FIBRE, and Lola Disco.

Flammy at 11:00 PM - How do you see the Future Funk community in 2 years ? Also, will you make something different from Future Funk like Lo-fi or maybe House music ?

HolyToast asked this before but as long as the hits keep coming from a consistent roster of artists, we'll be alright I feel. If they all work their best, you can only get bigger from here. - I've been going into more house/electronic level stuff. I have 2 lo-fi tapes already, but I am taking a break from those for now. More or less passion projects.

Flammy at 11:07 PM - My last question : What is the best quote you’ve heard ?

"Peace of mind is the highest currency that can never be bought, sold, or traded."

HolyToast at 11:18 PM - Do you think the limited edition exclusivity of physical releases (Cassette, Vinyl, Minidisc, CD, Floppy) attributed to future funk help or hurt the genre?

I think having physical mediums only help the genre. Having them limited is understandable since we are still a small community compared to other genres. Who knows, they may be worth something big in the future.

HolyToast at 11:29 PM - Do you think future funk can have a future sampling 90s tracks or does it then lose its identity?

I based my earlier tracks to 90s sampling! And it isn't exclusive to 80s JP city pop either. There's alot of material in 90s acid jazz that rarely have been touched on. It all depends on the groove.

ΛULTURON at 11:32 PM - Have I been doing it wrong by not using 80s JP city pop and instead using European (and American) funk?

Nope. I've rarely used it myself. Once again, it depends on the sound/groove and not who you sampled it from.
Hell, I've been using 90s arcade music as samples for my most recent house/FF tracks.

Bardock Obrama at 11:54 PM - Whats up with normies and not liking future funk?

I find it weird, everybody loves to dance...

Skule Toyama at 3:42 AM - What do you think is the best way to make Future Funk out of the mainstream?

It's all about promotion and how you present it. I don't FF can be full on mainstream, but understand your fanbase and make internal compromises to be sure you and your fanbase are satisfied.

Skule Toyama at 4:01 AM - Do you think is a bad thing that people relate Future Funk to full anime themes (weeb stuff) instead of the full 80s (80s japanese) Vibe?

I don't, but it's a matter of not giving into the wave if it's not your thing. Do what you like to do! I respect both vibes, would say I'm neither.

Skule Toyama at 4:14 AM - Do you think Future Funk (other genres related) its going to turn into a meme, like Vaporwave? (Not saying they are the same)

Not really. Since FF is birthed from the internet, it's bound to come across as a meme itself. Still, seeing people that are still very passionate about making and listening funky music is a sight to see.

gl00b at 4:33 AM - Read any good books lately?

I Can't Make This Up: Life Lessons by Kevin Hart. I read alot of books about and from comedians.

Hideika at 5:42 AM - What’s your favorite anime of all time (please don’t say Dragonball Z, Naruto or One Piece)

It's either between Samurai X and Nichijou or YuYuHakusho. Let's just say YuYuHakusho, yeah.

Toucan San at 7:31 AM - What is your goto kick fam.

It's either DMX, 909, or the kick Thoughts used for Starstruck.

Toucan San at 7:42 AM - Favourite ff song?

Tendencies - Intoxicated and Hiro Tadomatsu ft. ev.exi - Sillage


No comments:

Post a Comment