Saturday, January 5, 2019

Can US based PrePaid phones (Trac/Net10) be used to activate Google / Twitter / Facebook?

I wrote a post earlier on how to get a VPN without leaking personal data, One of the challenges that occured to me was account verification. More and more services are requiring cell phones to verify account data, and I've found some services (Google) won't let you verify with just any number, they have some type of filter to exclude VOIP-phones, or other free internet-phone services.

So has anyone had luck with verifying a Google / Twitter / Facebook account using something like a TracFone or Net10 phone. If you did get it to work, did you have to go through any KYC with Trac/Net10 that would have exposed your personal information?

I pick Trac/Net10 because both of them have vendors that sell minute refills for bitcoin online. The one exposure I could think of would be the actual purchase of the handset. Whether I bought it online or at a store, some general information as to my location would be traceable. I could send to a PO box, or drive out of town to get the phone, but both of those would still show my general vicinity.



No comments:

Post a Comment