Sunday, March 3, 2019

Bitcoin core and LND - questions regarding tor

Hello all!

I'm currently running bitcoin core and also trying out LND, on windows 10.

I've run public nodes for a long time but now I want to learn more about tor integration.

I read this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2yzzmw/if_you_are_not_using_tor_youre_bitcoin_activity/

Is this line really accurate?:

  • You must start Tor Browser Bundle before opening the wallet for it to work.

I currently have the tor browser installed, but it seems bothersome that i have to keep the browser open for the other programs to work. Do i really need to?

I also read this page in the lnd github: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/blob/master/docs/configuring_tor.md#listening-for-inbound-connections

I'm pretty sure what i want to do is to run a v3 tor hidden service, they say here:

If you want to run v3 Onion Services, make sure that you run at least version 0.3.3.6.

Currently, i have tor browser bundle v8.0.6, but i cannot find any information about which version of tor i have. Maybe someone can clarify the differences between the tor browser bundle and tor itself, i seem to have trouble fully understanding it.

I want to be able to accept incoming connections, both through bitcoin core and lnd, to support the networks. If all I've read is correct, that shouldn't be a problem as long as i set everything up correctly?

Do i still need to forward ports through my router or will the tor hidden services take care of that in some other way?

I think i have found everything i need to put in the config files for bitcoin core and lnd, but i don't know how i can configure tor itself (if i even need to.) Most guides are for Linux and they mention a tor config file. Where does this exist on windows?

I appreciate any answers, explanations or links to guides.

I'm sure some of you are running your bitcoin apps through tor on windows!



No comments:

Post a Comment