Thursday, February 13, 2020

I made some mistakes, please help me figure out what I did wrong

Apologies for a long post.

I had a few bitcoin that I had transferred to my ledger nano S wallet. I was really excited when the price soared back in December 2017 but was disheartened quickly when it started going down the following month. January 2018 was the last time I accessed the ledger wallet and then I kinda forgot about it.

Day before yesterday, I suddenly remembered about the wallet and wanted to see how much bitcoin do I have. So I connected the ledger and I was asked to enter my password which I had forgotten. So after 3 wrong attempts, I restored my wallet from the seed words. Then when I fired up the chrome app, I found out that I should be using the ledger live app and also that I need to update the firmware to 1.6. I did both of those things and finally when I was succesful in adding the bitcoin account, I saw that I only had about $10 worth of bitcoin.

I was super confused about what had happened and checked the transaction history. It showed that the majority of my coins were transferred to one address on the 12th of January 2018. I checked the address in the blockchain and it shows that it has had only that single transaction and that my coins are still in that address. My first throught was that I was hacked but it doesn't make sense because only I have access to the nano S and the seed words which are on paper. I looked at other transactions and a few were made after 12th January. I cross checked these with my coinbase account and they in fact match which means that had the coins gone missing without my knowledge, I would have noticed as I clearly used the ledger to do some transactions after the event.

I had my coins in a legacy address and the address that it was transferred to is a segwit. My theory is that I probably wanted to transfer my bitcoins from the legacy address to a segwit address, so I created one through ledger and sent my coins there. Only this explanation makes sense to me but my ledger nano S doesn't show any segwit address, it just shows my legacy address.

Does this make any sense? Is there any way to recover any segwit address that I might have had or to claim the address that has my coins as my own?


No comments:

Post a Comment