Thursday, August 27, 2020

HDD spinning up but not showing in BIOS or Disk Management.

So, yesterday I redid all my cabling in my ≈4 year old PC, and lo and behold I found an entire 500Gb HDD that I did not know I had in there. My 2Tb HDD is split into 2 partitions and the OS is one of those partitions. I also just bought an SSD yesterday as I plan to move the OS onto there instead. But before I do this, I'd like to be able to use the 500Gb drive as backup.

My issue is, the 500Gb drive is not read in the BIOS (all 4 SATA Ports are enabled as far as I can tell). It also pops as "unknown device" in device manager. On top of this, it reads as uninitialised/offline in disk management. When I try to initialise it, it says "A device which does not exist was specified".

In the events log of the device, there is a message saying "Device not migrated".

I ran sfc/scannow and this gave me nothing. I have tried enabling and disabling the device. I have tried updating drivers however because it is an unknown device I don't think it quite knows what drivers it actually wants? (It's a seagate barracuda 7200.10). I have also tried updating the chipset. I am going to try flashing a new BIOS version. And I may also try a clean install of Windows.

I have also tried different SATA Ports, different SATA cables, and switching around the order of the power cables. I have not tried a different PC as I don't have access to one.

Finally, I have also tried taking my boot drive and SSD out of the system, and turning the PC on with only the 500Gb drive left in there to see if BIOS picks it up when there is no others to choose from, this did not work either.

I am not too worried about losing the data on the drive, as I do not know if there even is any. However if there's a way to save it keeping the data intact that'd be great, maybe I'd come into some untapped bitcoin I had saved away, you never know.

Anyone able to help a guy fix a mystery hard drive he completely forgot he had?


No comments:

Post a Comment