Friday, November 6, 2020

Can't access $4k in BTC from 2013 blockchain.info legacy wallet and tech support couldn't help even though I have my 12 word mnemonic, wallet password, and original 2013 email from them

Just not the actual wallet ID. I tried to access it back in 2018 and submitted a support ticket but the tech was not able to help me. I decided to try this again today but after hours of searching the web I can't find an answer. It seems I had an older account with them in 2013 and they deleted it when they did some upgrade. When I created a new account with the same email it had a zero balance. I have read somewhere that they could give me a link to their legacy system but that was not offered in 2018. Below is the text of my support case with them. Please let me know any ideas of how I could get the $4k in funds from this ridiculous website.

[Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

MYUSERNAME March 04, 2018 14:47

On Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm my friend "XXXXXXXX" sent me 0.25 BTC and at that time I was able to log in and verify that and still have a screen shot of my account from that day and also a text file on my PC called Bitcoin_Mnemonic.txt that has 12 random words in it. Since then I have not gone back to look at this until today and tried to use the original email link with no success and tried to regain access to the account I had accessed and taken that screen shot of with no success. So then I created a new account with the same email address but that shows a 0 BTC - $0.00. Please advise how I can regain access to the bitcoin I had access to in 2013. Thanks.

- First_Bitcoin.jpg (200 KB)

- bitcoin_email.jpg (200 KB)

Sam March 05, 2018 02:27

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing. Unfortunately we are unable to help recover or reset passwords. This is not a matter of policy but simply that it is impossible for us to reset a wallet's password due to the way the file encryption is designed. Please try every possible password combination you may have used.

You can use the legacy mnemonic to reveal the password at the time of recovery phrase creation here,

https://blockchain.info/wallet/recover-wallet Keep in mind the mnemonic recovery phrase only reveals the password at the time of phrase creation, if the wallet’s password has been changed since the recovery phrase was created then the information it provides may be inaccurate and out of date.

The older version of our wallet has been discontinued. This transition period was ongoing throughout most of 2016, and now upgrading your wallet to the latest version is required to access funds. You can learn more about the latest version via this link: https://support.blockchain.com/hc/en-us/categories/201149143-My-Wallet-Guide.

Wallet.aes.json backups can be imported here: https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet. Please note, this process does require the correct wallet password in order to decrypt the file.

If you do not have the correct password or an accurate recovery phrase, then access to the wallet and any funds it may contain has been lost.

You can read more about how our Blockchain digital currency wallet works - https://blockchain.info/wallet/how-it-works

________________________________________

Sam | Blockchain Support

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 04:22

Hi Sam,

I just went to that link you provided: "https://blockchain.info/wallet/recover-wallet".

That page says "If you have a legacy wallet recovery mnemonic saved enter it below to view the password and login link."

After I entered my 12 word phrase it displayed a text box with my password that was just as I expected it to be but provided no "Login Link".

However, on the upper left hand corner of the screen it says "Existing Users Already have a Blockchain Wallet? Login Now" but that takes me to the new account I created yesterday showing 0.00 BTC.

It seems that I may need a "Wallet ID" from somewhere but I do not think I have had that provided to me as it is not in the original email I got from your site which seems to just have a link with a "Claim Number" nor does it seem to be on that screenshot I took of your site in 2013 which seems to just shows a "Bitcoin Address".

I also clicked the link you provided: "https://support.blockchain.com/hc/en-us/categories/201149143-My-Wallet-Guide" but it does not take me to any info about upgrading anything nor do I even know what exactly would have to be upgraded or where the thing that's needs upgrading even is.

Can you please explain to me in explicit detail, step by step, how I go about regaining access to my bitcoin using the 12 word passphrase I have or the password it showed to me on your site or whatever other means is available?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 2:27 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

Sam March 05, 2018 04:53

Hi there,

We have to figure out, what your original wallet identifier is.

To locate a wallet identifier we require both the email address and the IP address used to create the wallet. As a last resort we may be able to track down a wallet identifier if provided with both the password and the date this wallet was created. Please limit potential creation dates to a one week window. We are unable to search for a wallet based on bitcoin addresses used or transactions made within the wallet.

Thank you for your information and patience.

________________________________________

Sam | Blockchain Support

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 05:49

So what now?

I read on your site that the BTC was retrievable by the 12 word passphrase alone but now that seems to be untrue.

I also would have expected that your site would still have my account setup under my email address but that's untrue as well as I was forced to create a new account in which I used the exact same email address and I even the same password again too.

After the first email from your site I never got another email again including any "Upgrade Required" notification or "We are going to delete your account" email either. Why would you guys delete my old account and never even send me a warning email about it?

When I try to use your site for a "Wallet ID Reminder" (https://blockchain.info/wallet/#/reminder) it wants to use my email address which is now set to my new 0.00 BTC account and not the old one you guys deleted.

I have my original email from your site that I received on Wed, Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm, which is the BTC creation date I assume.

That email contains a link that says "Click Here to claim this payment" and the link address was: https://blockchain.info/wallet/claim#GYcJGNA9MKs2BcgPnJ3Co84fzqWPNixcwZ8G6VQDvEoJ

Is that string of characters after the # symbol the Wallet ID or just some Claim ID that's of no use?

I have the correct 12 word passphrase and I also know what my original email and password was (and still are with the new account).

I am not sure what my IP address was at the time and assume my internet provider Comcast changes them occasionally but it is currently: XXXXXXXXXX

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 4:53 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

Sam March 05, 2018 08:06

Hi,

Which email did you use to initially create the previous wallet?

The only wallet ID associated with your email was created yesterday.

If you created another wallet before, it must be linked to another mail address.

Best,

________________________________________

Sam | Blockchain Support

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 08:24

No, I used this account which is my primary email account and is the same account the original email from blockchain.info sent the first email as shown in the attached screen shot.

The only two other accounts I have are MYUSERNAME u/gmail and MYOTHERUSERNAME u/gmail and I just logged into both of those and searched for "bitcoin" and "blockchain" with zero results.

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 8:06 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

o bitcoin_email.jpg (200 KB)

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 08:57

Has the creation date and IP address I provided turned up anything?

Also please answer this question I asked before:

Why does this page: https://blockchain.info/wallet/recover-wallet, say "If you have a legacy wallet recovery mnemonic saved enter it below to view the password and login link."

Note: It's says **AND THE LOGIN LINK**"

But when I type in my mnemonic phrase it only displays my password (that I already knew) but DOES NOT display the Login Link as it says it will?

Seems like either very poorly worded and confusing info or a buggy broken web page to me.

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 8:06 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 10:05

Is it possible that email addresses are case-sensitive in your system?

I just noticed that when I forwarded that screen shot of my account with the new .25 BTC to my friend "XXXXXXXX" who sent it to me that in the forwarded email section the first letter of my address is capitalized:

-----Original Message-----

From: wallet wallet@blockchain.info

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Wed, Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Subject: XXXXXXXX Has Sent You Bitcoins

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 8:06 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

Sam March 05, 2018 10:12

Hi,

There are no further wallets associated with any of the provided mail addresses.

Also email addresses are not case sensitive.

Mnemonic phrases created prior to 2013 will reveal both, the password and wallet ID, but wallets created in 2013 will only reveal the password.

As a last resort to locate your wallet identifier, we could try to look it up if you provide the creation date of your wallet, as well as the password.

Best,

________________________________________

Sam | Blockchain Support

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 10:26

Creation date: 4/10/2013

Password: XXXXXXXXXX

-----Original Message-----

From: Blockchain support@blockchain.zendesk.com

To: MYUSERNAME MYUSERNAME@XXXX.com

Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 10:12 am

Subject: [Blockchain] Re: Having trouble accessing access 0.25 BTC that was sent to me in 2013

MYUSERNAME March 05, 2018 14:33

Any luck using my creation date and password I sent you?

It is highly unusual for a support person to ask for a customer's password,

especially one for accessing money. And since providing you with my

password yesterday I have not heard anything from you in over 20 hours.

This is quite disturbing. Please tell me what is going on ASAP.

Sam March 07, 2018 03:10

Hi,

This is not our standard procedure and we only do this to try to help our users as a last resort.

Unfortunately, there are no wallets associated with the provided password you provided.

If you are able, to provide the correct details, we are able to locate the wallet identifier.

Unfortunately this was not the case.

Please check your details again.

Best,

________________________________________

Sam | Blockchain Support

This request is closed for comments. You can create a follow-up.



No comments:

Post a Comment