Sunday, November 15, 2020

Need help with random shutdowns

I have a PC that was pretty high end about 7 years ago. It was given to me by a friend who built it as a mining rig for some kind of magic coin (not bitcoin, but similar).

Mobo: ASUS ROG Rampage IV black edition E8670 CPU: Intel i7 (not sure specific model, PC is not running atmo Cooler: Unsure of brand, but it's a pretty bad ass liquid cooler with large heat exchanger, plus extra case fans Ram: 16GB of ripsaw DD3 I believe. I don't believe RAM is the issue because I've removed pairs of DIMMs, and swapped slots, and still having issues. GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti (swapped into my old PC and it runs fine) Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS 750w (purchased April 2020) Fresh Windows 10 install

The PC is having random shutdowns. Sometimes it will blue screen, sometimes it will hang in the boot sequence.

The thing is, there often won't be issues listed in the event viewer, other than "your PC just restarted unexpectedly". Which leads me to believe this is a hardware issue. I did a fresh install of Win10 anyway to rule that out.

What I've done: As I said above, I swapped DIMMS between slots, and removed alternating pairs ruling out a bad DIMM. This did not change anything.

I also removed the GPU and used on board graphics with no change.

So I'm assuming this is a hardware issue, probably in CPU or mobo. But I'm not sure what other troubleshooting steps I can try before just throwing parts at it. And throwing parts at it sucks, because the mobo, CPU, and ram are all outdated, which means swapping all of them at the same time.

TIA


No comments:

Post a Comment