Saturday, February 13, 2021

a year ago today, i bought my first bitcoin...

and ethereum. and i've been hodling it ever since.

i was a middle-income student, with barely enough funds to spare for investments after i pay my school fees. i remember running into a trader in the school cafeteria, and inviting him into my room to get me started. he advised me that with each halving, the supply of bitcoin would get less and less, so it was better for me to buy as soon as possible. he told me that the price of bitcoin could never go down again. i just had ~$400 in my bank account, and i was testing the waters, so i put around ~$26 each in ethereum and bitcoin. i remember looking at my wallet, smiling to myself as i embarked on this new adventure. mother warned me against cryptocurrency a few weeks before. i hoped to prove her wrong. i did my research, weighed my options and hoped for the best.

then march 12 came along.

i had a few movies to watch, so i stayed up all night binging them. google sent me a news alert about "bitcoin." i couldn't believe it. panicking, i opened my wallet. it had lost 30% of its value. in complete denial, i ran to twitter. "bitcoin," "alts" and "cryptocurrency" was trending. it looked like the guy named peter schiff was right. it looked like i was experiencing what was known as a "black swan event." it looked like the values of all cryptocurrency the world over were plummeting on value. my heart sank. i was going between twitter and my wallet, trying to make some sense of what was happening. by the time morning came along, i had lost 60% of my portfolio. i was devastated.

i cursed the day i met that dude. i went up to my friends' to complain to them how i had just lost a lot of money because i was too trusting. at this point, i remember vividly one of them telling me, "why don't you just buy more? it'll still come back up." i thought about it, and remembered my heartache from the night before. i brushed his suggestion aside. sigh

the day came and went. the prices of ethereum and bitcoin were climbing little by little, but just not enough to give me any positive outlook. day in, day out, i'd check my wallet to see if a miracle had happened. no miracle happened. after a while, i had tests, and i put the whole debacle at the back of my mind.

then came the promised "halving." i waited eagerly for some good news from that glorious bitcoin hedge against hyperinflation. then it went. the price hardly budged. i was seething. i wanted to empty my wallet right there, but i think mother called me, so i perished the thought. ironic, isn't it?

after a few weeks, my whole outlook on cryptocurrency started becoming a bit more optimistic after i got to know that there was more to crypto then hodling. a trader friend of my friend (yeah, yeah) got in touch, and one thing led to another and i put the equivalent of ~$20 into litecoin. again, i was expecting it to rise, like it's big brothers ether and bitcoin, but the price stubbornly plateaued. again, i was frustrated at said friend, but i held on.

after a while, my portfolio doubled. that's good.

then i bought some tron through a smart contract. bust of the century, ladies and gentlemen, classic example of fomo. i bought the pump. that was not good.

then ether trippled. that's good.

then december came. then january came.

the price of cryptos all over was skyrocketing. eth ath. btc ath. ltc ath. said friend who introduced me to litecoin's dad for into a car accident at new year's eve. i just felt like, man you opened my eyes, let me help you take care of your dad. things were good.

today is february 13, 2021, marking an entire year since i got into the cryptocurrency space. my btc portfolio, at the time of writing, has increased 483%, ether 734%. i do not regret buying btc and eth. i regret not listening to that guy who suggested i buy more during the march crash. i do not regret buying ltc, which, today has grown 225% year over year. i regret not buying any more btc, eth, and ltc at any time last year. all in all, i can boldly say that i am glad i hedl (?). today, i own quite the diverse bag, from low cap alts to tokens, and i do not regret it. i am a proud cryptocurrency hodler. thanks ma. bitcoin isn't bad, and i love you. stay safe guys.

  • all figures mentioned are the dollar equivalents of my local currency at the time of writing, accounting for inflation. ʰᵒᵖᵉ ᶦ ᶠˡᵃᶦʳᵉᵈ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶜᵒʳʳᵉᶜᵗˡʸ

No comments:

Post a Comment