Thursday, August 12, 2021

Bank Reversed Provisional Credit for Fraud Charges.

Crosspost

Hello,

I currently have US Bank. A few weeks ago, my crypto.com account was hacked and they did the following.

Sold all my crypto. Purchased about 10,000$ worth of Bitcoin and then transferred it out. Loosing the crypto sucked but nothing I could do about that, it also wasn't that much. My main concern was the 10,000 $ they spent.

I called when I noticed the pending charges on my bank account the next day. They also had hacked my cellphone sim card and we're deactivating my sim and as well as my email. So they were making it very difficult for me to do anything.

I had called the bank, they had applied a provisional credit to my account. When I originally spoke to the fraud department, I specifically asked if there was any way I could be charged back this money and he said it was very unlikely.

However later, the provisional credit that was provided has been reversed and now the charges are back on my account.

I got a letter in the mail saying the transaction was not proved to be fraudulent Something about me having past activity with the business.

I'm trying to reach out to the agent responsible for my case but it's been tough.

Im just wondering in the event that my bank does not want to reverse these charges and sides with the merchant. What are my options go legally.

Sorry if this is a mess, this has been a very stressfull situation. I'm a recent college grad and loosing 10,000 would be catastrophic for me.

Update : So I contacted my fraud agent. Apprently the person made the purchase was verified as having the same ip address and other information as me. Hence why the initial fraud charge was denied. They recommend I file a police report on the situation which I am currently waiting to do. I believe from there, it will be a conversation between my cellphone provider, police, Visa and US bank on the matter. Any other advice is appreciated.

Update2: Filed the police report and asked bank to escalate the claim through the fraud department. Tried contacting phone provider, they were absolutley 0 help. When i had previously contacted crypto.com they said "Crypto.com cannot be held liable in cases of gross negligence."

As well as

"Please keep in mind that our decision is final and the case cannot be reopened.

Please be advised that if the police or your bank need assistance from us, they could contact us on our official email: contact @ crypto.com"


No comments:

Post a Comment