Thursday, September 23, 2021

Friend lost trade in mediation

I've been a long time Bisq user. I've done over a hundred trades and tens of thousands of dollars in volume and I've never had any problems with a trade going bad or even making it to mediation. I've recommended Bisq to many of my friends and I just had a friend who has been using it lately tell me that they were just scammed on Bisq. He was selling bitcoin on Bisq and his trade partner wasn't responding to messages at all. He was waiting for payment to come to him via Zelle, but it never came. It then went to mediation and the mediator said that the buyer had a Zelle receipt that showed he paid. My friend said he showed his bank account and that no payment was made. The trade dispute was awarded to the buyer and my friend lost his bitcoin. He contacted his bank and they said no Zelle transaction came over and that it was likely a fake receipt that he had.

My question is, since I've never had to go through mediation, how thorough are the mediators? How can a fake receipt be passed off as real so easily? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If it is an email confirmation receipt, do mediators check email headers and such or other things that are slightly harder to forge than say just a screenshot?

My friend is very disheartened over this event and is likely not going to be using Bisq any more because of it. I feel bad because I recommended Bisq to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment